The future of Tech-Forums

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Edit: I know that is a negative way of breaking it down, but it is kind of true at this point. I'd rather see Techist be a Jack of all trades, master of some. Which would take both ideals and mash them together. Maybe instead of slimming down, just find a way to favorably promote the things our members are currently masters at and when/if members join we can add to the list.

I genuinely can't see Techist being a Master ever of all trades, the knowledge base is to big as far as Technology goes IMO; and thats just my opinion.

If techist.com was to focus more of its efforts in a redesign of the whole and entire site, their are a lot of subjects covered such as closed mobile devices and people needing support.

I think it has been mentioned but I will in case it hasn't as I'm not reading threw 5 pages of responses. What about a Video update of our Mods and Admin promoting the use and Fix \ Mod \ How to; of Software, Hardware and products and services.

One thing I would love to see with techist, is a Community base of interactivity centered around a social online experience like FB.

Just something I thought I'd add.. ^^^ ...

What mite be a Good Idea as well mite be a good Linux support section. I have posted a few threads in the Linux Section to no avail from other users for help with technical issues. I know this would probably be covered at some point but Linux being a Free OS mainly might be beneficial for the end user as they can download their OS and receive help from knowledgeable people. Being Free it mite open doors to other ideas for other parts of the site to develop. Mabie have a section of some sort were everything that is free is covered such as Software, Linux, Freeware, Shareware, Trial ware, Open source.

If you need *nix tech support PM me and link me to the thread. I don't peruse those boards as much as I should :tongue:

I see part of the problem not being where the market is gowing but Tech-forums not growing its market. T-F users are down because people are turning to services like youtube/Vessell for content now a days. On top of that sites like Linus tech tips run their own channels and have great personalities in their videos and those same people help moderate forums. It creates a nice bond between users and people they idolize in the tech industry. They cover all sorts of tech topics and create active discussions. They get the forum together to contribute to a live streamed WAN show every weekend. It is competition like this I find has hurt tech-forums most. It is not that the target tech is changing, we have sub forums for Mobile categories also and they are barren. For Tech-Forums to return to its days of old glory Tech-Forums needs to figure out new ways to penetrate the community as changing the structure of the website on its own will only alienate existing users and not draw new users in.

The most Immediate thing I could see us doing to draw more users in is Tackle Gaming and then tech. Get some guilds/ Clans made for some games to build comunity presence. we can run Forum wide Game nights that are scheduled, and streamed on Twitch for others to watch. T-F messing things up in GTA Online as an example or a wow guild. We really should be looking at Linus Tech Tips/ Linus Media group does with its Forum to see the direction we need to go in.

Last edited:
I'm so excited to learn new things here :D

Mine and your last name are spelt the same way with a h and a p. When ever I speak to someone on the phone its, "Is that with a h?" and I'll reply, "Yes, with a h and a p.."

Thats the first time I've ever mentioned my last name on theese forums. lol .. Anyways..

If you can stomach a lot of reading you will learn no problem. I do. Any thing you want to discuss, just feel free to Post. :)

Just a quick question, How many tech support admins does TF have? and how many are active? The only guys I notice "all the time" are CarnageX & iFargle, and users who help as much as mods - PP Mguire, Krazyq, and -Rockman- maybe a few others but they dont come to mind..

I dont really see a mix of users on IT support threads that I see on the gaming threads.. maybe you need more active mods...

also, I have noticed the mods either miss the threads or cannot answer the questions.. so I think creating mods for different areas of tech is a good idea. People will be able to get answer better then and know who to turn to if normal users cant help

Last edited:
Mods aren't for providing tech support, mods are just there, nominally, to moderate. Basically management of posts and content to ensure rules aren't broken etc.

But there does need to be a greater mix of people providing support. I should probably help out more often, though I stick to some specific subforums now.

Back
Top Bottom