Packet Loss; Can't Fix!

Whoa, wait a sec... I AM trying. That's why I posted the screenshot - after spending perhaps 45 minutes trying to figure out how to do that. E.g., I didn't know W7 had a thing called "snipping tool". You see, there's a lot of stuff re. computers that I simply don't know about. Someone said something about "trying basic things". They might be basic to you, but I've never had this problem before so I'm delving into something I've not done before.
Yes, they are basic to us, but that's why we suggested them...because they're basic troubleshooting steps to start out with to make sure it's not anything simple or small - or can help us figure out the cause of an underlying problem. That's why there's troubleshooting steps for things like this, and not solutions.

I've done the suggestions you've all made the best I can so far, but I have other things going on in my life besides a computer problem, ya know?
And that's perfectly fine...we just ask that you don't skip over steps and move onto other steps before trying what's been suggested.

I guess the next step is moving my computer tower to another location so I can actually hook directly into the modem and/or router. Again, if you knew how my house was set-up you'd understand that that is a pretty big undertaking. Nonetheless, I will do it any way.
That's why I suggest trying the other things (firmware/driver update) first.

I don't know how to update firmware. I've visited the website for my network cards... As far as I can tell they have the latest drivers. Next is Googling how to update firmware on one's router.
I have the same router (the RT-N66u) - it's easy. Log into the web interface, and go to Administration and there should be a section about "Firmware Update" or something similar (been a while since I've updated my firmware). It should have an automatic download/install for you - that's all you need to do. I believe it will also require you to power cycle your router after it's complete...but there will be on screen instructions telling you what to do after the updater is complete.

As for your drivers... open up your Device Manager and expand the "Network devices" section. Post the brand/model of your wireless/ethernet adapters and I'll try to find the latest drivers for you.

Seriously guys, I am trying, but there's other "stuff" going on so I can only work on this problem at certain times. Thanks.

Then why not ask instead of just ignoring the post? We're happy to help if you don't know how to do it...but you have to ask in order for us to help rather than just ignore it and move onto other troubleshooting steps.

Seriously guys, I am trying, but there's other "stuff" going on so I can only work on this problem at certain times. Thanks.

Don't pay either of them any mind for right now. :/
Next time do this here:
How To Check For Packet Loss Between Your Router and Computer Connection
Be sure to read the comments below it as it is helpfull.
For the networkcard drivers, click start, highlight my computer with left click.
Hit properties, go to the device manager tab, click network adapters.
Depending on whats displayed yours "might" be a realtek pci gbe.
Highlight it, right click choose properties, look for driver and click driver details.
Samething can be done for your wireless nic.
When you have time screenshot what is displayed from the device manager/driver details.
Post it back here and one of those 2 should be able to get it.

Don't pay either of them any mind for right now. :/
Next time do this here:
How To Check For Packet Loss Between Your Router and Computer Connection
Be sure to read the comments below it as it is helpfull.
For the networkcard drivers, click start, highlight my computer with left click.
Hit properties, go to the device manager tab, click network adapters.
Depending on whats displayed yours "might" be a realtek pci gbe.
Highlight it, right click choose properties, look for driver and click driver details.
Samething can be done for your wireless nic.
When you have time screenshot what is displayed from the device manager/driver details.
Post it back here and one of those 2 should be able to get it.

I tried the "how to check for packet loss" procedure and the only message that is coming up in the window is "request timed out." Does this mean 100% packet loss?
My Linksys AE3000 network adapter has this driver installed: 3.2.8.0
Try as I might, I cannot find out if this is the latest driver or not. This APPEARS to be the latest driver.
My Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller appears to have the latest driver, too. At least, I can't find definitively if I have the latest driver or not (VERY frustrating). The driver installed for that is 7.72.410.2013
The driver date is old, but I can't find a newer driver.

Thoughts?

The link that Mega gave you is crap... It assumes every router runs on 192.168.0.1, which is probably the address you typed in...

If he had read and looked at the image you provided, WinMTR gave a 2% loss at the very first hop, between your machine, and the router. (WinMTR is doing nothing but a constant ping to every server between you and whatever address you typed in, it shows losses as well as max/min/avg ping values to EACH server, very similar to a pathping)

Being honest, the first step as this point is connecting to the router wired and running WinMTR again to see if you have the same loss on hop #1, just as a test, doesn't mean you have to leave things as is.

If you do, then it's your router causing the loss most likely, to see if you still get loss, bypass the router by connecting directly to your modem and run the test again.

I tried the "how to check for packet loss" procedure and the only message that is coming up in the window is "request timed out." Does this mean 100% packet loss?
My Linksys AE3000 network adapter has this driver installed: 3.2.8.0
Try as I might, I cannot find out if this is the latest driver or not. This APPEARS to be the latest driver.
My Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller appears to have the latest driver, too. At least, I can't find definitively if I have the latest driver or not (VERY frustrating). The driver installed for that is 7.72.410.2013
The driver date is old, but I can't find a newer driver.

Thoughts?

According to Linksys, that's the latest version of the driver for your adapter...

Open up Device Manager
On your network adapter, do the following:
Right click -> Properties -> Details tab
Post the following info for each item that has a yellow exclamation mark:
Under "Hardware Ids" in the dropdown, it should have something like VEN_####&DEV#### ; post that section, where #### = some alphanumeric combination.

Please do what c0rr0sive and I have suggested and hook directly up to the router to see if you still have the same issues.

So... After trying to find drivers/firmware/passengers/plastic wear I hooked my tower directly to my router and ran WinMTR... In essence, no packet loss. Same thing when directly hooked to modem. The problem is with network adapter or motherboard or software, firmware, mediumware, etc. (I hope you understand my joking) What next? I don't have another network adapt. handy, I don't think. I'll look, but....

So... After trying to find drivers/firmware/passengers/plastic wear I hooked my tower directly to my router and ran WinMTR... In essence, no packet loss. Same thing when directly hooked to modem.

I think your main problem is with the router, if you hooked up to your computer directly and no packets were lossed..
I think it would be a wise idea to go buy a new router with new cords to start out fresh.

I suggest this one for your needs.
If you can stay away from linksys nothing but issues from opening the box or using it for less then a year.
Belkin N450 Dual Band Wireless N Router - Walmart.com

So... After trying to find drivers/firmware/passengers/plastic wear I hooked my tower directly to my router and ran WinMTR... In essence, no packet loss. Same thing when directly hooked to modem. The problem is with network adapter or motherboard or software, firmware, mediumware, etc. (I hope you understand my joking) What next? I don't have another network adapt. handy, I don't think. I'll look, but....

Sounds like the problem is with wireless in some way then if everything is just fine over wired - most likely the wifi adapter IMO.

You could also try updating the firmware with the instructions I previously gave, and see if that fixes the wireless issues you have.

I think your main problem is with the router, if you hooked up to your computer directly and no packets were lossed..
I think it would be a wise idea to go buy a new router with new cords to start out fresh.
Curious, but why do you think it's the router?

Curious, but why do you think it's the router?

I really don't know look over crossedup posts in here and then read the latest one.
Also if it is wireless why don't you ask him to test the wireless nic elsewhere to rule it out ?

"Curious, but why do you think it's the router?"

I'm wondering the same thing since I can hook directly into the router and there is no issues - my other two rigs are hooked into the router; my kids use those machines and are constantly playing online. None of them have complained about lag during game play.

Back
Top Bottom