Packet Loss; Can't Fix!

Find their address, put it into the magical box, and click on Start, let it run for awhile, probably 10-20 minutes. If you get errors, make sure you run it as Administrator, or google the error.

... you have loss at every single hop, looks like it's your router, or wireless card... Both have the latest firmware/software? If so, try relocating, or changing the wifi channel your on, might help. Hop#7 doesn't look too healthy either...

... you have loss at every single hop, looks like it's your router, or wireless card... Both have the latest firmware/software? If so, try relocating, or changing the wifi channel your on, might help. Hop#7 doesn't look too healthy either...
Guess all my previous suggests are still relevant then ;).

[How to update drivers]
Open up Device manager, expand Network Devices, check the brand/model of both ethernet and wireless network cards. Go to the brand manufacturers' websites, download/install the latest drivers from their sites.

[using wireless]
Tried wired?

[Router = RT-N66u]
Tried updating the firmware?

Eh? How is it not possible? Run ethernet cable from PC directly to modem and see if you still have packet loss issues. If not, then issue lies with the router. If so, then it's either the modem or something with your PC.

Yet op seems to not wanna even try, hence the reason I suggested WinMTR to see where it starts. In the end, if OP doesn't wanna do anything, then might as well give up, can't hold his hands, I do that enough for other people that complain about something not working.

Yet op seems to not wanna even try, hence the reason I suggested WinMTR to see where it starts. In the end, if OP doesn't wanna do anything, then might as well give up, can't hold his hands, I do that enough for other people that complain about something not working.

I hear ya man... Was reposting that as a reminder to OP to try the basic things that were suggested already. But like you said...if he doesn't wanna try, then we can't really help.

Whoa, wait a sec... I AM trying. That's why I posted the screenshot - after spending perhaps 45 minutes trying to figure out how to do that. E.g., I didn't know W7 had a thing called "snipping tool". You see, there's a lot of stuff re. computers that I simply don't know about. Someone said something about "trying basic things". They might be basic to you, but I've never had this problem before so I'm delving into something I've not done before. I've done the suggestions you've all made the best I can so far, but I have other things going on in my life besides a computer problem, ya know? I guess the next step is moving my computer tower to another location so I can actually hook directly into the modem and/or router. Again, if you knew how my house was set-up you'd understand that that is a pretty big undertaking. Nonetheless, I will do it any way.

I don't know how to update firmware. I've visited the website for my network cards... As far as I can tell they have the latest drivers. Next is Googling how to update firmware on one's router.

Seriously guys, I am trying, but there's other "stuff" going on so I can only work on this problem at certain times. Thanks.

Last edited:

Thank you. As I said, I'll search out how to update firmware/software and see if I find anything that helps.
Changing wifi channel... Something I'll have to look into how to do.
As far as relocating... This simply is not possible. My computer must be where it is. I've tried setting up so that there is a relatively straight shot from my router to my wireless card w/o any obstacles. If that isn't good enough the only other option is to run a long network cable along my ceiling, etc. My wife won't allow it. I've had different types of connection issues in the past and I've been through at least 3 different routers and a couple of wireless network cards trying to find something that actually works. I spent a good deal of money on my present router. A waste of money? I guess time will tell as I delve into it more.

Back
Top Bottom