Laptop Drive in Desktop?

scroudt

In Runtime
My optical drive for my desktop is pooched and in need of replacing. I also have a laptop that my daughter spilled juice on and doesn't function well any longer.

Was wondering if there is a holder for a laptop drive to be mounted in a desktops 5.25" slot?

Can't seem to find anything.

Thanks in advance.

Guys, he's talking about mounting a laptop's OPTICAL drive in a 5.25" bay on a desktop. I'm not aware of a way to do it, most laptop optical drive mounting is pretty proprietary.

Guys, he's talking about mounting a laptop's OPTICAL drive in a 5.25" bay on a desktop. I'm not aware of a way to do it, most laptop optical drive mounting is pretty proprietary.

I wouldn't say proprietary...just not really a way to easily do it in a desktop case unless there's an adapter specifically for it.

Edit: Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Syba-5-25-Inch-Adapter-Trayless-SY-MRA55005/dp/B0081IOSOW

SATA connectors, and USB 3.0 connectors. If your board doesn't have 3.0 connectors, either find one without the USB, with USB 2.0 connectors, or just don't hook up the 3.0 connectors.

Here's another one, without the extra stuff:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0VD9G6XWFZW61VCM64YB

Take note, with either of those...you'll also need the slimline SATA adapters.

Last edited:
Looks like one of these may work. I'll have to do a little more digging. Thanks

I wouldn't say proprietary...just not really a way to easily do it in a desktop case unless there's an adapter specifically for it.

Edit: Something like this: Amazon.com: Syba 5.25-Inch Bay Adapter for Slim Optical Drive and Trayless Caddy for SATA III HDD/SDD with 2 USB 3.0 Port SY-MRA55005: Computers & Accessories

SATA connectors, and USB 3.0 connectors. If your board doesn't have 3.0 connectors, either find one without the USB, with USB 2.0 connectors, or just don't hook up the 3.0 connectors.

Here's another one, without the extra stuff:
Amazon.com: Chenbro 1x ODD Bay to 1x Slim ODD Bay and 1x Internal 3.5-Inch HDD/FDD Bay Cage SK41202: Electronics

Take note, with either of those...you'll also need the slimline SATA adapters.

I knew that, which is why I said it depends on what connectors he's running. In some laptops the connectors are proprietary, but they make adapters and brackets for almost anything these days.

I knew that, which is why I said it depends on what connectors he's running. In some laptops the connectors are proprietary, but they make adapters and brackets for almost anything these days.

I haven't pulled the drive from the laptop to see what kind of connection there is yet. will do that soon though.

Back
Top Bottom