Building a new gaming rig

Nausicaa

Baseband Member
Hi guys,

I have not built a gaming rig in the last few years, I've mainly been buying Alienware, so not sure about what's good and what's not. I mainly play RPGs and MMORPGs, I like to have settings maxed out, don't want to have to look at specs every time worrying if I can run a game or not.

I live in Canada, I think the prices are around the same as in the US, my budget can go up to $2000 if need be, lower is better of course, I like to change computer every 2 years, that budget is only for the computer, I already have all the external accessories.

I would appreciate a recommendation on specs, and/or what parts I can safely save money on, I used to always go for the best in everything and that tend to be an overkill and some parts might not be needed for gaming.

Thank you

Thanks for the advice, I have a question thought!

I see that you put an i5 instead of i7, also the memory is at 1600mhz, and the graphics card is the 970, will I still be able to play any game at max settings for at least 2 years with these parts? As I said before, I am out of the loop when it comes to the latest technologies :)

I also have this bad habit of thinking that more is always the best option lol!

Thanks for the advice, I have a question thought!

I see that you put an i5 instead of i7, also the memory is at 1600mhz, and the graphics card is the 970, will I still be able to play any game at max settings for at least 2 years with these parts? As I said before, I am out of the loop when it comes to the latest technologies :)

I also have this bad habit of thinking that more is always the best option lol!

i7 is useless for gaming, hence the i5. See this topic: http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/your-cpu-modern-games-guide-those-building-261626/

RAM frequency doesn't matter all that much - you won't notice a difference in the real world for the most part.

As for the 970...it can max all but a few games right now - mostly depends on what res you'll be playing at. 1080p it's going to be great - but for higher than that, it's going to start to struggle on newer titles (and future ones) at max. A 980 will be better in that regard, but may still struggle at higher resolutions. You could always wait for the upcoming cards to release, as they're supposed to be better performers than the current 9xx series.

AH I over looked the overclockability there, It was the wee hours of the morning though so I slipped a little. One thing I've been noticing is a lot of MB's are saying crossfire ready but not a mention of SLI for the Nvidia cards, Are they going back to only supporting one or the other once again????

Sorry for the late replies guys, I was on vacation last week :)

Thank you all for the advice, I am going to build it starting this week!!

Back
Top Bottom