[Project Log] TOXIC CHROME (modded Corsair 250D)

YV2iYvL.jpg

Hey guys,

Back with another update on Toxic Chrome.

I made all the modifications needed on the case and it has now left to get powder coated. The frame of the case and other bits will be powder coated a dark navy blue and the side and top panels will be powder coated chrome. Hopefully the chrome powder coat will come out good.

Here's a look at the case with the side panel windows cut, filed and all ready. Also mounted the pump/res combo and drilled the hole for the Vandal switch. That is just a test Vandal switch. I will be receiving a nickel plated one from MNPCTECH which is currently on the way.

hkazviv.jpg

I know here that the res doesn't sit in the middle but in order to make the loop work I think that this is how I will need to sit it. This may change however so we will see.

rSk1ST8.jpg

9A829DS.jpg

All the side panel windows. I went and drilled holes in each corners of the windows for mounting the acrylic however I forgot to take pics of this. You guys will see that once the case is back.

il9qKRH.jpg

Pump/res combo mounted.

BlUzVUB.jpg

Vandal switch mounted on top of the front panel frame.

1GddqiF.jpg

nHDgVHp.jpg

C9fSx98.jpg

I will be making a new front panel out of 1mm aluminum which will cover this section here. I will stick that to the existing front panel in order to continue to be able to use the clip on and feature and access the dust filter behind it.

wvEBlzT.jpg

I also cut the HDD cage in half as I will need to mount this back in the case to support the MB tray. I cut some 1mm aluminum panels which will be bolted on to help clean up the HDD cage look as that will be seen through the res window.

QCeDj5T.jpg

000H8yR.jpg

All this will be powder coated blue.

And that's about it for now. Hopefully I will get the case powder coated and back sometime next week.

Thanks for checking it out.

Cheers,

Alex

YV2iYvL.jpg

Hey guys,

I got the case back from powder coating!

Here are some quick shots I took of the case. I think the navy blue looks awesome and matches the fan blade colour really well.

The side panels are not finished yet as they had mistakenly coated them the same navy blue, they are now getting redone in chrome.

HYmlmtx.jpg

cqGhwo5.jpg

ZxNNarT.jpg

nwOz620.jpg

ap7xzJJ.jpg

zlxj5aq.jpg

zlKMXnT.jpg

B62696B.jpg

LyRZxBj.jpg

CJyZOGV.jpg

wtsfqmC.jpg

2hq4xeN.jpg

0jWWwOr.jpg

3rf6c7K.jpg

rwIXXFb.jpg

I will be getting the front panel and rear feet colour matched to the same powder coated blue but will obviously get it painted.

ivWuzvM.jpg

BmZmH7h.jpg

Cr6utBS.jpg

CK1M0Mk.jpg

Thanks for checking it out guys and let me know what you think of the blue, I really like it.

Cheers,

Alex

YV2iYvL.jpg

Hey guys,

Back with another update for the Toxic Chrome build. Sorry I've been absent for a while, been super busy with work lately.

Had some time over the weekend and worked on the motherboard.

Here's an overview and getting the red heatsinks ready for some black plasti dip!

1yOGL5w.jpg

mqTB21H.jpg

kM1CJCm.jpg

TeOvD7X.jpg

wbpzDLC.jpg

BIkNrcK.jpg

aDF9ZSJ.jpg

Also plasti dipping this little guy!

SZwNgAv.jpg

BdMnuw6.jpg

kFputSU.jpg

wWFf4j2.jpg

7CKSsDA.jpg

sIiq0WP.jpg

u430KQv.jpg

I'll be back in a day or two once all this is done, dried and back on the board!

Also an update on the side panels paint/powder coat. I've seen the chrome powder coat and it doesn't look like chrome at all. Looks like some sort of dark grey colour and not really glossy, so was not a fan of that. I did get them to do the EK ram modules which I will show you guys once done, just to see how the chrome powder coat looks. Through I probably won't end up using those either.

So what I will be doing with the side panels is taking them to a car paint shop. Chrome paint is out of my price range at this time, costing around $250 just for the paint as they told me. Though what they can do is make it a nice glossy silver and try and get it as close as possible to the chrome effect. However that still won't end up being chrome so I guess we will see.

Stay tuned for more guys! I'll try and keep the updates coming more regularly!

Cheers,

Alex

YV2iYvL.jpg

Hey guys,

Motherboard is all done, here it is!

Gigabyte GA-Z97N-Gaming 5 Black Edition

oDeN6pt.jpg

7r8I06S.jpg

Ce39yIe.jpg

vxsdYnk.jpg

3p8phBs.jpg

PE06dAL.jpg

gyYw37t.jpg

BMwkhOf.jpg

m3yGBEs.jpg

f4O5p9q.jpg

TjGFGHB.jpg

dJxv5Ji.jpg

I'm also happy to announce new sponsors to the Toxic Chrome build. The cables and LED strips will now be provided by Icemodz and also Primochill who are very kind to send me a set of fittings and some PETG tubing! :thumb:

Thanks for checking it out,

Cheers,

Alex

YV2iYvL.jpg

Hey guys,

Here are some photos of the G.Skill memory I will be using and also the EK memory modules.

These have been powder coated chrome and as you can see it looks more like a matte silver, so that's why I didn't like the chrome powder coat for the side panels. I will be getting new ram modules and keeping them black but wanted to show you guys this anyway.

uVFmDRa.jpg

ZoZx1aj.jpg

8zfyLG6.jpg

wPPYuox.jpg

Os4KuPZ.jpg

HGMNF5c.jpg

tfoZZZB.jpg

1ETbPzj.jpg

Jbb22NC.jpg

Also cleaned up the rear i/o shield

tBmhU1D.jpg

wAzxuUI.jpg