Partitioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathansparks046

Beta member
I have a dell 4550 with 4 partions on the hd. I have windows installed on d: and all my files are on drive c:. The computer boots from drive c. How can i get it to boot to d?

It cant boot from a partition which doesnt have an operting system on it. Anways, I was messing around in the same area this week and from what i remember this is how you acan do it by adjusting your BIOS

Get your motherboards manual just incase
Boot the system
Start hitting delet before anything happens to enter BIOS
choose "standard CMOS" or "advanced BIOS" may be different on your motherboard
Find the "boot from so and so drive" or something and select the drive letter you want. I think you can select different partitions there.

This is all from my memory and i used to smoke crack. But, hey, i could still be right.

yep, in your bios you should be able to set a drive specifically as it pertains to booting.
i would be curious to know how you got an os on the d drive and your files on the c drive in the first place though?

Sunsider , that was easy , windows ask you where you want to put it, all you have to do is tell d:\windows , or something like that when you install it.

If you know for a fact that it's booting to C: instead of D:, and you know for a fact that you have an OS installed on D:, then you definately have two OS's.

In that case, find the boot.ini file and edit it to make your D: drive OS the booting, sole OS.

You can also set your D: drive to be the primary boot drive in your BIOS, which should force the system to detect the OS on D: and boot right from that.

I'm curious why you installed an OS on D:. Are you running two different OS's?

I am unsure about selecting partitions from BIOS. I can choose different C, D and E from my BIOS, but as far as I know the BIOS only loads the MBR to determine wich partition is active and loads the active partition's VBR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom