battery warning

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
on my new laptop (Lenovo G50) I just received a warning stating that keeping the battery above 70% charge for long periods of time is detrimental to the batteries health. which is great. i have never seen a warning like that before, but i certainly do not want to kill my battery. so, i was wondering, can i run this without the battery, just on the a/c power adapter? or is that a bad idea also?

thanx CarnageX! about all i ever knew about lithium ion batteries is they were not supposed to take a set if you charged them incorrectly. in all actuality, the only real training i ever got on batteries in general was old school lead acid-batteries. as in the ones you actually had to check the electrolyte levels in once a month or so. maintenance free (lead-acid) batteries came along, and we were given a few tips and tricks at the new model one day seminars. and towards the tail end of my career, gel maintenance free batteries came along. the big thing about them was they could be mounted in any position, even up side down. i did see one or two of those before i was retired. but it was just new model prep. i have owned many rechargeable Ni-cad powered tools, and actually burned up one by way, way over working it. but i have not owned a lithium ion tool yet. but its time has come. its good to know something about the battery before i had a chance to ruin it.

No problem. Li-Ion is quite different from Ni-Mh or Ni-Cd - both of which have the "memory effect" that people think all rechargeable batteries have. Lithium Ion doesn't have the memory effect, and completely discharging them actually damages them. Best to usually charge them up from half way or so. That, and keep them cool since heat also kills them quickly (usually the reason why laptop batteries die so quick - not because of keeping them plugged in all the time).

Sent from my HTC One

Back
Top Bottom