Computer freezes (in games + in bios)

Aid4n

Beta member
Hello, posting on behalf of my friend.

My friend has had this problem for 2 years now. Long story short, he can be either playing a game or browsing normally and his computer freezes and he has to restart.

He has done the following:

Replaced the PSU twice

Changed from Windows 7 to Windows 8

Updated drivers (including motherboard drivers)

Checked RAM with memtest

Replaced RAM (he has 2 different brands with slightly different specs, however. I have made a part list below)

Checked GPU drivers and reinstalled multiple times.

Installed operating system on a new SSD

The problem has gotten even worse since I gave him my Radeon HD 7950 (3gb graphics card) which is in good working order (he upgraded from a 7850). Previously he could play GTA V with it only crashing occasionally, but now that he's put the new card in, he can't even load the game without his whole system crashing.

We decided to check his RAM voltage and timings but his system froze when we entered the BIOS.

He has also cleared the CMOS.

I am starting to believe this is a motherboard issue as it's the only thing he hasn't replaced.

Anything else we could try?

PART LIST:

RAM:

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00CEU)

Kingston KHX1600C9D3K2/8G 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM Memory Module

PROCESSOR:

AMD Piledriver FX-8 Eight Core 8350 Black Edition 4.00GHz (Socket AM3+) Processor

Motherboard:

ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 AMD 970 (Socket AM3+) DDR3 ATX Motherboard

Power supply: Corsair CP-9020055-UK RM Series RM750 80 Plus Gold 750W ATX/EPS Fully Modular Power Supply Unit

Graphics card: Radeon HD 7950 (3gb)

The Kingston and Crucial memory might be incompatible with each other, Pull the Kingston ram out and try running it on just the 4gbs of the Crucial ram

Hi thanks for replying,

We tried with just the crucial RAM and we're still getting the same result. :/

What games is he playing by chance, also to be accurate how long does the game stay up before it crashes ?
Lets say your buddy starts playing cod 4 modernwarfare, upon launching and joining a match.
Does the game, get stuttery or laggging and crashes ?
Also note if his cpu fan itself kicks up too high or the case/cpu fans go to high and crashes ?

If that happens it maybe a good idea for him to reboot into bios and check his system temps.
If his 8 core temps are 45 degrees and it starts to rise up to 60 degrees..
Its a heat issue and you will need to reapply the grease.
Also if his fans are at a 100% and the system tempature seems high he may have a cooling issue.
Check with him and if you live in his area drop by and look at it yourself.

If it is freezing in BIOS then it HAS to be hardware. Since the PSU, GPU, drives, and RAM have all been swapped it is down to the board and CPU.

If it is freezing in BIOS then it HAS to be hardware. Since the PSU, GPU, drives, and RAM have all been swapped it is down to the board and CPU.

+1

My vote is on mobo being the culprit.

Check for any obvious signs of failure, such as blown capacitors.

Back
Top Bottom