Wearing vinyl / latex powder free gloves during build...

frldyz

In Runtime
For fear of static during my build I was thinking of bringing home some vinyl operatory gloves from my Dental office to wear during my build. They are powder free.

We will be doing the build in the kitchen on a wood table. Pet free environment. Barefoot. And we will have anti-static wrist bands. I know we are doing everything right. But this is my 1st build and I have ALOT of money in components.

Would there be less risk of wearing vinyl gloves with static and eliminate the risk of oils on components.?

Thanks

Dude, literally all you need to do is touch your case before you open a piece. Once it's out and been handled you're fine. When I installed my Titan X's I was in my shoes, on carpet, and all I did was do my usual. The only time you really have to worry too much about it is during the winter when it's really dry and static is very bad. Sometimes in the summer if you keep your house real cold because the AC dries out the air. Since you're barefoot and on hard wood floor you have nothing to worry about. In the 14 years I've been building computers I've never once wore a static band, and we don't at work either.

Agreed with I PP. Though to actually ground yourself you'll want to touch something that's actually grounded such as your faucet head, unpainted screw on a light switch, or even just plug your power supply in with nothing hooked up and touch the metal of the power supply to ground out.

Latex gloves aren't necessary and a I'd recommend a wrist strap or static mat only if you're in a super dry environment like what PP mentioned.

Sent from my HTC One

DOesn't have to be plugged in. If you got static it'll shock and you're good.

Oh yea to latex gloves, I use these when I'm trying to keep finger prints off certain finishes. I used gloves with my 980s.

Plugged in PSU guarantees ground though since it's connected to an actual ground.

Plugged in PSU guarantees ground though since it's connected to an actual ground.
yes that is correct... but if the switch on the back of the psu is on, then you'll have voltage going through the motherboard and that can lead to disaster.....too easy for a noob to forget that it's powered on or not at the back of the psu, so it might be best to leave it unplugged.

yes that is correct... but if the switch on the back of the psu is on, then you'll have voltage going through the motherboard and that can lead to disaster.....too easy for a noob to forget that it's powered on or not at the back of the psu, so it might be best to leave it unplugged.
I never said to hook the PSU up to the components - just plug it into the wall socket. See:
even just plug your power supply in with nothing hooked up and touch the metal of the power supply to ground out.

Thanks for clarifying that, I didn't want anyone to think that they can pop open their pc boxes and be o.k. with ESD just by touching the frame of the power supply, while the power may still be on (even though the PC is turned off)

It's useful for keeping finger prints off certain pieces. I mean I already keep a large box of gloves in my place for when I eat so makes sense to me. I just wouldn't be telling people to run out and buy gloves just to work on their PC.

Back
Top Bottom