Two Different GPUs At Once?

p2skater1

Baseband Member
Hi,

I am soon going to get a MSI Gtx 970 fir my gaming of, and I have a MSI Gtx 660 at the moment. My question if, can I run both if then in my computer at once, and if I do, will I see and increase in performance? Would I also just put the new GPU in and use the CD it comes with to get its drivers if I already have up to date drivers on my 660? Would the 660 hold the 970 back?

Last edited:
Yes and no...

If you are talking about SLI, you can't do that AFAIK, has to be the same generation of cards at a minimum.

If you are talking about just having multi-monitor support (Four or more monitors), provided the Nvidia drivers are half decent, you can use multiple GPU's for having multiple monitors.

You can have 2 different GPUs in your machine but you won't see a performance benefit at all. If you aren't running extra monitors that need to be on another card then there's no point in leaving it in your machine.

Also I'm pretty sure we can't stress this enough. Never use the drivers that come on a disc.

You can have 2 different GPUs in your machine but you won't see a performance benefit at all. If you aren't running extra monitors that need to be on another card then there's no point in leaving it in your machine.

Also I'm pretty sure we can't stress this enough. Never use the drivers that come on a disc.
why? Is it because they are old? Can't I just use the CD then go to the website after I use the CD and update it?

Why do that when you can download the latest drivers before even taking the old card out? Pop the new card, install newest drivers and you're done.

CDs are always bundled with older drivers. When it comes to motherboards or graphics cards you always go online and download the latest.

Always get the latest available, drivers on the disk tend to be very buggy, and are meant to just get a machine operational enough to start the update process during a build IMO.

Besides the multi-monitor setup suggestion, dedicating the GTX 660 to handle PhysX might be another option if your PSU can handle it. It's also good if you're running higher resolutions / 4K.

I don't have exact numbers, but I'm not convinced the performance would be noticeably better than the 970 handling it on its own, and you'd have another source of heat to deal with in your computer case.

So theoretically: "yes", but you need to figure out if the margin of performance is worth it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom