Help me rebuild my Gaming Rig.

There's plenty of free AV's.

Avira, Avast, BitDefender Free, just to name a few.

Avira and BitDefenter Free are what I currently recommend. Avast used to be on my recommendation, but they dropped off a bit in the quality department.

This is the site I used to keep up on AV reliability: AV-Comparatives Summary-Report - AV-Comparatives

They do monthly tests, and then at the end of the year they have a summary report compiling all the info they've collected over the year and then give awards to each AV they tested. They're a 3rd party testing site that's non-bias (i.e. not paid off by companies like Norton or McAfee). The only paid AV's I recommend would be Kaspersky, ESET, or BitDefender.

That is so cool. A website, non profit from the people they test. Testing the programs

I'm currently downloading Avira. Already like how simple it seems to be.

I tried using the link to the program to remove Norton you mentioned but when I click to download it says it can't be found. Broken link? Is there another program like it?

Also, I got a list of drivers from the Asus site. It doesn't have a "download all" link just lists them individually. I downloaded and am running most of them. Is there ones that are most important or just all?

Get the removal tool from here: Norton Removal Tool Download

make sure you uninstall Norton before you install Avira.

As for the drivers...yeah you just have to download them individually.

Chipset, RST (Rapid Storage from Intel), audio, network, etc. will be main ones I can think of. May be others as well.

Awesome carnage! You're the man!

Done and done. Computer is running great.

I realized there are a few cheap GPU's for sale in my area.
Before I close up this thread, maybe I can throw one in, to top this build off.

I tried figuring out how to know what GPU's are compatible for me. But didn't find a definitive answer.
Here are a few used one for around $50-$100:
MSI 7770
EVGA GTX 460
NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800
AMD Radeon HD 6970 2gb
EVGA Geforce 8800 GT

What are the prices on those, A few of them are not worth a ton, I picked up a GTX460 for a beater system a few months ago for $25 so list the prices and we'll let you know if there too much, $25 was cheap but deals like that are out there.

The 6970 is the best out of those options.

After some research I think so too.

What are the prices on those, A few of them are not worth a ton, I picked up a GTX460 for a beater system a few months ago for $25 so list the prices and we'll let you know if there too much, $25 was cheap but deals like that are out there.

They were anywhere from $20-50. Nothing over $50. But my computer is rebuilt like I originally asked for in this thread.
I'm going to shop around for a GPU, possibly make a new thread. Also about a few other questions I have, so I'll read some more and then ask a few questions in a separate thread(s).

COMPLETE!!!!!

Aside from a new GPU and upgraded ram my rig is rebuilt and running beautifully.

I am slowly fallen back in love with my case, big and bulky but been with me through all my gaming days.

I have to give a big thanks to Dauntae and carnageX for all the input and help. Would have definitely made some big "boo boo's" if it wasn't for you guys.

A very special and big thanks to PP Mguire, through PM's and here, he has helped me immensely in rebuilding this rig.

Here are a few pics of her as she be right now. Again thanks to everyone who helped.

ImageUploadedByTech-Forums1427427968.321655.jpgImageUploadedByTech-Forums1427427985.017364.jpgImageUploadedByTech-Forums1427427998.839785.jpgImageUploadedByTech-Forums1427428013.273173.jpgImageUploadedByTech-Forums1427428022.587892.jpg

Back
Top Bottom