Build critique/suggestions

guffee402

Solid State Member
My last build was done in 2011 with and i5 2500k and a GTX 560 Ti video card so it's time for a new build. I'm a little behind on the current tech but I think I've come up with a decent build.

I play games so looking to build a decent gaming PC. I plan on picking up games like Witcher 3 and the like going forward.

Intel Core i5-4690K, EVGA GeForce GTX 970, Corsair 200R - System Build - PCPartPicker

This is my planned build but I have a few questions about some of the components.

I live near a micro center and they have a deal on the i5 4960k with a choice of motherboards and I need some help. The combo mobo I have chosen is the Asrock z97 pro 4 for 249.98. They also have the option of going with the z97 extreme 4 board for 279.98. What would you guys recommend? I plan on doing some moderate overclocking but not going crazy with it. What are the major differences between the 2 motherboards?

The case isn't set in stone either, I'm just looking for a decent mid tower case with good cable management and around $40-70 range.

I'm open to any suggestions you guys have if you can put together a better build for around the same price for $1000. I do not need a monitor or keyboard or mouse and such. My monitor is a 24" Asus 1080p for reference.

I appreciate the help.

The combo mobo I have chosen is the Asrock z97 pro 4 for 249.98. They also have the option of going with the z97 extreme 4 board for 279.98. What would you guys recommend? I plan on doing some moderate overclocking but not going crazy with it. What are the major differences between the 2 motherboards?

I'm open to any suggestions you guys have if you can put together a better build for around the same price for $1000. I do not need a monitor or keyboard or mouse and such. My monitor is a 24" Asus 1080p for reference.

I appreciate the help.

Go with asrock z97 pro also look into a 700 watt psu if you plan on oc.
If you like you can opt in for a 4770k, see this link first then other.

Intel Core i7-4770 Haswell Quad-Core 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W BX80646I74770 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics - Newegg.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&sr=8-2&keywords=core+i7+4770k&condition=used

Also consider this case, I was going to get this but billz came first so I got something else. :)

Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-03 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case ATX (not included) Power Supply - Newegg.com

You have a 2500k, you don't really need to update that at all. I mean that 100%, especially if you're a gamer.

I'd hold onto your current platform and just update your GPU, and get an SSD if you don't have one.

You have a 2500k, you don't really need to update that at all. I mean that 100%, especially if you're a gamer.

I'd hold onto your current platform and just update your GPU, and get an SSD if you don't have one.

+1 since the i5 vs i7 won't make too much of a difference in gaming. Focus on a GPU and SSD. PSU should be fine without upgrading if you have a quality unit already such SeaSonic / Corsair. Don't need super high wattage either since the GTX 970 sips power.

Edit: some benches and real-world performance of a 2500k vs 4770k as proof:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28517633-I5-2500K-vs-I7-4770K-Gaming-Benchmarks

Last edited:
Besides how crap CPU world is for proper benchmarks, if we go by that he's upgrading his whole platform for .17 performance increase in single threaded apps....aka games. GREAT SCOT.

Seriously, my 3960x hangs in there with the 5960x in such things, there isn't a reason in the world to upgrade the 2500k unless he wants to render or something.

Thanks for the replies. I have a 128g SSD already that I bought in 2012 so I don't need to add one. I'm thinking of going the route of just upgrading my GPU after this advice and seeing the DSL reports link that CarnageX posted. This is the power supply I have currently:

Thermaltake Toughpower XT W0229RU 750W ATX12V V2.3 80PLUS BRONZE ATI CrossFireX Certified AMD GAME READY FanDelayCool Modular Power Supply - Newegg.com

I'm looking at going with an eVGA 970 gtx. Will my power supply be able handle it with out any issues?

Your PSU is fine. The 970 takes like 60w less than the 560ti and runs much cooler too.

Honestly what I'd do is get yourself a GTX 960 to tide you over until the 980ti releases.

I was in the same position as you, built rig in 2011. 2500k + 560ti. Last year upgraded to a 780 when i got my 1440p monitor.

Running everything perfectly fine, so +1 to only upgrading the GPU.

Back
Top Bottom