No Sound from Headphones

LPettay

Beta member
Hey all,

I have an ASUS G75VX dual-booting Win 8.1 and Ubuntu. The strangest thing started happening recently. I recently did a clean install of Windows 8.1 at the same time I installed Ubuntu, and I would assume that this problem has been here ever since then. I didn't notice it until yesterday, but when I plug my computer into my TV via HDMI, and then unplug it, everything seems to work just fine.. except for the headphone jack. The speakers work just fine still, but as soon as I plug headphones in, the speakers turn off (as they should), but there is no sound coming from the headphones. I've checked playback devices, shown hidden devices, set defaults, etc, but there is no device titled 'Headphones'. The headphones still work just fine when I boot from Ubuntu. I spent about two hours trying to fix this yesterday, and the only thing that worked oddly enough was F9ing my BIOS to default settings. After that, it suddenly worked.. until I plugged my HDMI back in. Now I'm sure if I reset my BIOS to default again it will fix the problem, but I imagine there is a better way to fix this problem. I've already downloaded the latest Realtek Drivers, so no worries there. I've never encountered such a strange problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Have you tried uninstalling the Realtek drivers, and installing only the nVidia video/HDMI audio drivers? We recently had another member here post about some weird issues with audio, and after removing the Realtek drivers/software, his issues went away.

I believe so, but when I removed the Realtek drivers I had an issue with sound only playing out of the built-in subwoofer or the stereo speakers. Couldn't get it to play out of both.

Tried the opposite and only having the Realtek drivers installed, rather than Realtek+nVidia?

Did you check the Realtek Control Panel to see if there were any settings misconfigured?

May not hurt to check for a BIOS update for it as well.

Back
Top Bottom