CPU throttling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what the paste that came with the CPU was but I'm planning on cleaning it off and using some Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound Paste - is this a decent paste?

I have a Arctic Cooling Freezer 11i CPU Cooler - I know this isn't a crazy good CPU but it should be a little better than stock at least? (With stock being ok anyway?)

That big turd was ment to be sarcasm.......
I've had my i7 920 o/c'd for 5 yrs and still have not had to change the tim

Well I was looking at it, maybe half the size of that drop would keep that intel chip going for 6 months to 1 year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure what the paste that came with the CPU was but I'm planning on cleaning it off and using some Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound Paste - is this a decent paste?

I have a Arctic Cooling Freezer 11i CPU Cooler - I know this isn't a crazy good CPU but it should be a little better than stock at least? (With stock being ok anyway?)

That heatsink is ok, but it doesn't necessarily cool things off very well.
Also artic silver 5 isn't what it use to be in the past.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186093
Read the 3 star reviewing rating and you'll understand better.
Use arctic mx-4 been using their brand since 2011.

ARCTIC MX-4 (4g) Carbon-Based Thermal Compound, Non-Electricity Conductive, Non-Capacitive - Newegg.com

This would better suit your intel cpu, I had one for intel core i3 core i5 amd phenom 2's, and amd fx4100.

ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 with 92mm PWM Fan - Newegg.com

If you can locate a good heatsink fan that will blow beyond 2500rpm then yeah you shouldn't have much to worry about.
Be sure to 2 fans in your case pulling air in and pushing out through the back or side.
If your case itself is lukewarm or warm and you notice the cpu and system temps warming up.
Thats not good sign of it cooling off correctly.

Your paste application is either bad or it's mounted wrong. Also that cooler isn't what I would say is a great replacement to the stock cooler but you shouldn't be having issues like that.

Did you reset bios to default values after the flash?

Today on my lunch I got home for 30min and set the settings in the BIOS to default and ran the stress test again.
I got a max Temp of 83C on the CPU with a 5min test.

This is lower than yesterday by a good bit but is this still a safe temp? I loaded up far cry 4 and messed around for 10 min and I didn't experience any of the dropping of FPS problems I was getting so at least that is now sorted!

I will be reinstalling the cooler very soon anyway as I would like to lower the temps some more. What would be the expected temp of the CPU given my setup?

The cooler more than likely simply can't handle full stress from the CPU. Since gaming won't fully stress the CPU it should be fine for the time being.

Great!
Thanks as always PP Mguire for fast responce!

I will replace the cooler with something better very soon then I think.

Today on my lunch I got home for 30min and set the settings in the BIOS to default and ran the stress test again.
I got a max Temp of 83C on the CPU with a 5min test.

This is lower than yesterday by a good bit but is this still a safe temp? I loaded up far cry 4 and messed around for 10 min and I didn't experience any of the dropping of FPS problems I was getting so at least that is now sorted!

I will be reinstalling the cooler very soon anyway as I would like to lower the temps some more. What would be the expected temp of the CPU given my setup?

Honestly 83C full stress isn't bad.
I would suggest manually adjusting you bios settings, mainly your cpu vcore. I have always found default settings overvolt the cpu. This leads to more than expected heat.

As for a cooler, with the cost of AIO Water coolers from Corsair, they are almost a no brainer.

Great!
Thanks as always PP Mguire for fast responce!

I will replace the cooler with something better very soon then I think.
Until then if you still have it you might want to just use your i5 instead. There'll be no difference in gaming.

Honestly 83C full stress isn't bad.
I would suggest manually adjusting you bios settings, mainly your cpu vcore. I have always found default settings overvolt the cpu. This leads to more than expected heat.

As for a cooler, with the cost of AIO Water coolers from Corsair, they are almost a no brainer.
83c full stress for stock cooler isn't bad. He's using an aftermarket cooler though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom