failure to recognize printer port during setup of hp deskjet 697C printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizzybeth

Baseband Member
I recently formated my c:\ drive and reinstalled the operating system. I went from WinMe to 98. The printer port is listed as fine in device manager, but when I try to run the printer instalation which I downloaded from http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...areitem=dj520en .
Although during setup it gives me no ports to choose from and the setup consequently fails. The printer and port worked fine before I formated my drive. Could anybody possibly help?
Thanks.

how big was the file size?

also, try doing this:

go to printer folder, and delete every printer listed there. (make sure your printer is switched off)

and then again install the printer software that u downlaoded (approx 4.3MB)

see if it works,

what about checking the port it's on? I remember that was always a bugger back in the day. Maybe also check for conflicts in the device manager? Those are my thoughts...

well, they were working before on ME, arent they? (read her other post, she moved from ME to 98)

anyway:

I have uploaded you a new set of drivers exclusively for windows 98 and 697C series printer

download it from here:

www.zen22985.zen.co.uk/drivers/hp697c.zip
alternatively from here:

http://blind_arrow.spymac.net/Drivers/hp697c.zip

and see if they work.

these will remain here 2-3 days on ZEN, and for 10 days on Blind_Arrow. so download at your convinience.

The file size of the download was 4,839 Kb, and I have no printers listed in the printer folder.

now in device manager my printer port has an exclamation point by it and it's status is "This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all drivers installed. (Code 24).
Try upgrading the device drivers for this device."

When trying the download you suggested I ran into the exact same problem, saying it could locate any printer ports.

Yea there we are... Let's try this, while your computer is on, unplug your print cable from the computer. Get to your device manager and remove the printer. Now it should be gone, the little yellow ! and all.. turn your computer all the way off, and plug the printer back in and turn your computer back on. Now go into your device manager and check to see if it sees anything first. If it sees your printer, you may not want to install the installation file because it will conflict with windows, always does... If it's not there, try the installation from Arrow's site and see what goes on...

i did that and the printer did not install. The port is listed as normal, though I have a feeling that if I restart my computer it will simply go back to the way it was just like when I removed it before. I tried the hp setup and the same problem happened again.

ohm.. Arrow, any ideas =p

*edit* when the yellow ! is there, have you tried going to upgrade driver and see what happens?

yellow exclamation marks denotes DRIVER failire.

have you tried installing the driver I gave the link ?

or i'll tell you one more final method, (MAY WORK)

arrow, i tried you driver already.

whenever I try to update the driver it says it already has the best driver for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom