CPU throttling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used paste that came with the new cooler with both it and the CPU being new they where clean.
I will try the BIOS reset first and run the tests again then move on to reinstalling the cooler plus some Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compund Paste

I used what I would consider to be the correct amount - I understand your preference of a single dot but I used the x method having found the most success with it in the past. I have applied paste maybe 10+ times in the past

X method is a bit of a waste since the cores are all in the center, and putting a small rice-sized dot in the middle will allow it to be evenly spread across by the weight of the heatsink.

yup....just a lil dab do ya!

A_LITTLE_TO_MUCH_TIM.jpg

A_LITTLE_TO_MUCH_TIM.jpg

I'm not going to lie about this but that looks like abit to be too much.
Also when I apply grease, I put pee size in the middle,
Next I put 4 little dots on the corner of the cpu.
So yeah spud do it this way and that'll prevent it from heating up.

. .
. .

Spud if you don't mind me asking what type of thermal paste do you and what cooler ?

If you pair this up with a decent or good cooler it'll keep your intel cpu cooled off for 6 months or 12 months.
ARCTIC MX-2 (4g) Carbon-Based Thermal Compound, Non-Electricity Conductive, Non-Capacitive - Newegg.com
If you oc it'll dissipate faster and you'll be changing it every 4 months.

Last edited:
That big turd was ment to be sarcasm.......
I've had my i7 920 o/c'd for 5 yrs and still have not had to change the tim

Last edited:

A_LITTLE_TO_MUCH_TIM.jpg
Reminded me of a cupcake :lol:.

I'm not going to lie about this but that looks like abit to be too much.
Also when I apply grease, I put pee size in the middle,
Next I put 4 little dots on the corner of the cpu.
The 4 dots in the corner are a waste IMO (and others will tell you this as well). A pea/rice sized spot in the middle (because that's where the cores are). Then when the heatsink is pressed firmly down and secured, the weight of the heatsink and pressure from the security clips will spread the compound out evenly across the surface of the CPU's heatspreader. The dots on the corner just have more of a chance of oozing out of the side I'd think.

If you pair this up with a decent or good cooler it'll keep your intel cpu cooled off for 6 months or 12 months.
[snip]
If you oc it'll dissipate faster and you'll be changing it every 4 months.

Shouldn't be necessary to change the thermal compound that often. Unless you didn't apply it correctly, the compound should stay good for years. Shouldn't have to re-apply unless you start noticing heat issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom