CPU throttling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spud5437

In Runtime
Hi all, I'm after some advice on a problem I have been having.

A few weeks ago I changed my CPU from a Core i5 4430 to a core i7 4790K and went from 8GB to 16GB ram. Everything was fine with the change – after I updated the BIOS to recognise the new processor. I didn't notice any problems for the first week with all programs running fine.
I went back to play some far cry 4 when I had 30min to kill the other night and the FPS where dropping from a steady 60 to around 20 or lower for roughly 2 seconds every 30 seconds. I thought it strange as I didn't have this issue before. I was planning a reinstall of windows anyway so I went ahead with that and reinstalled everything including the game with the same issue still being present.
I have checked temps with all being ok but as I had a new cooler available I put it in (Arctic Cooling Freezer 11i CPU Cooler) and it has lower the already fine temps a little so I'm sure this isn't the issue.
I have done searching around on-line and some people who have had similar problems are blaming it on CPU throttling due to temps, power issues from power supply or motherboard not working well with or powering the CPU effectively.
What I'm after here is some advice on my issue and if someone with more knowledge than myself can identify the likely cause so I can remedy or upgrade as needed.

My specs are below, thanks for any help

Thanks for fast response - I missed that out, Sorry!
I used Speedfan for checks with:
CPU Idle - 42C
CPU underload / in game - 65C ish

GPU idle - 45C
GPU underload / in game - 72C ish

The GPU can run lower if needed with increased fan speed but I thought that temp ok and was happy with the noise levels

Last edited:
I'd use HWMon instead to make sure those are accurate. To see if your CPU is throttling you can use a free version of AIDA64 to stress test or use Prime95.

Ok, I'm at work now so I will check that later when I get home.
Are temps likely to be the issue with the setup being the same apart from the new CPU and it having an after marker cooler?
Thanks for the help

More than likely it would be a stability problem over a temp problem which is why I'm having you stress test the CPU. If you indeed have an Intel branded motherboard it could be causing you issues.

Ok so i came home on my lunch here and have installed HWMonitor and a trial version of AIDA64.

It is reading the temperature as:
CPU 43C ilde
CPU 90C under (3 min) stress test (hit 97C at very start of first test and fell straight down again)

The temp increase is not a gradual thing, once I hit start it jumps to 70C then is at 88C - 90C in 5 seconds.

GPU 36C idle
GPU 68C under (3 min) stress test

The CPU temp is much higher than it had been showing in fanspeed! I'm guessing this may be the problem? how can I reduce this - given I have added a cooler. (Could I have put it on wrong?)
Thanks for the help

Your paste application is either bad or it's mounted wrong. Also that cooler isn't what I would say is a great replacement to the stock cooler but you shouldn't be having issues like that.

Did you reset bios to default values after the flash?

From what i remember I didnt change the BIOS at all after the flash, what should I have done? Or should I just reset to default now?

I will take out the cooler tonight if I have time and reinstall it to see if that helps. I followed the instructions and it seemed to be making a good connection but I may have missed something.
Thanks again for the help and I will let you know how I get on

From what i remember I didnt change the BIOS at all after the flash, what should I have done? Or should I just reset to default now?

I will take out the cooler tonight if I have time and reinstall it to see if that helps. I followed the instructions and it seemed to be making a good connection but I may have missed something.
Thanks again for the help and I will let you know how I get on

Did you make sure to clean off the old thermal compound and apply new compound before reseating the heatsink?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom