Now or Later?

battleof3

Baseband Member
Before I ask any questions, here's a bit of extra information: a while back I was scheming around a $1000 build (http://pcpartpicker.com/user/battleof3/saved/kBCgXL) (which PP saw [said because he's usually first to reply :p]). I've still been working chores and saving in general, but still haven't enough currency. I've been getting reckless and impatient, and at this point I have about $450 saved. In my impatience I put together a couple part lists. This brings me to my first question:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/battleof3/saved/fncFf7 and http://pcpartpicker.com/user/battleof3/saved/M2HQzy are the part lists I put together. As you can see, only one thing changes--the CPU. IF I were to buy now and upgrade later, which of these would be the better option? I could obviously get the $492 faster (I don't count rebates--you don't get the money back until months later), but would it be better to go for the i3 machine (I'll be doing heavier gaming, recording, streaming and LIGHT video editing)? I could obviously get lesser parts, but I'm keeping upgradability in mind if I go with the option of buying now.

My more broad question--more important one, too--is should I wait longer or buy now and upgrade later? I know for a fact that game engines are about to get a TON better, and awesome new techs are being brought into the mainstream. But I'm so far behind the curb of gaming that I'm still stuck in Minecraft-and-original-Tomb-Raider-land, and I'd like to experience games up to now.

Anyways, any help is very much appreciated. Keep in mind that I'm on mobile--any pictures/videos should be in the form of a link. Apologies for poor formatting--again, mobile.

-------------------Love and best regards,
Devon

Second list doesn't work for me.

Game engines aren't going to get any better in the next year or two. Actually, they won't start getting much better until DX12 becomes more relevant and Windows 10 isn't even due until this summer. Takes years for AAA titles to adopt new tech. That being said, I see what I presume is the cheaper list with the 3258. I still say, save more.

Second list doesn't work for me.

Game engines aren't going to get any better in the next year or two. Actually, they won't start getting much better until DX12 becomes more relevant and Windows 10 isn't even due until this summer. Takes years for AAA titles to adopt new tech. That being said, I see what I presume is the cheaper list with the 3258. I still say, save more.

You're correct.

Through my personal experiences, I have found that $48. 1 tb hard drives at Amazon generally mean they are refurb drives, and you'll know because it'll only have a 90 day warranty. If you want a brand new drive, check to see if has the manufactures full warranty. Amazon has a habit of not posting any warranty info until after you make your purchases

So you'd all agree that it would be best to follow an upgrade path, rather than to save and buy a really nice machine later? PP Mguire, if you mean the link is broken, I deleted the parts list because I found it obsolete. Just an i3 for change was in that one.

No I'm clearly stating you need to save more money. It's not worth it to blow what you have on a ****ty GT 740. Just look at that other dude's thread. The GT620 doesn't hold up and the 740 won't either. If you drop the motherboard to an Asus H81 then all you need is like 50 more to have a 750 class GPU.

Alright. So save for a better GPU. The other components (assuming I will be able to afford them with a better GPU) are fine, right? I'm definitely getting a Z97 mobo--call it personal preference or even paranoia. But that's pretty well all that needs more money put into it?

Alright. So save for a better GPU. The other components (assuming I will be able to afford them with a better GPU) are fine, right? I'm definitely getting a Z97 mobo--call it personal preference or even paranoia. But that's pretty well all that needs more money put into it?
Or no offense, but idiocy. If you're this much on a tight budget then you don't need to be wasting money on something that gives you absolutely no advantage. Your PSU needs to be bumped up to the CX500 but with a 750 you can slide with the 430. Don't skimp on any of the other parts. Simply get more money, and make it like 100 more if you don't want to reduce the motherboard so an H81.

Back
Top Bottom