Noob with monster setup but no idea how to tweak it: ADVICE/HELP ENCOURAGED

BrockB

Solid State Member
I'm a noob and know absolutely nothing about tweaking or overclocking, and I would like to push the most out of my system with the proper advice. Preferably my goal is to run the system safely at 5ghz(+) if its possible with the components I have

This is my current setup:
MOBO: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z
CPU: AMD FX-9370 Vishera 8-Core 4.7GHz
PSU EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 80 PLUS Gold
RAM: G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)
MEM: SAMSUNG 840 EVO SSD
MEM 2: WD Red 4TB Hard Drive
GPU: XFX Radeon R9 295x2 8GB
Monitors: Triple 3x 34" LG UM-97 34-inch curved wide screen IPS

My BIOS is set at its factory default settings. Right now everything seems to run fine and it shows in PC properties im running at 4.42 ghz (but thats even lower than i should be, right?) I know I can push much more out of this system but I dont know how to. Eyefinity is set up and running nice with the 3 ultra widescreens at a massive 10320x1440 resolution. But i did notice some freezes on max game settings with COD advanced warfare. Im also not sure if the PSU i have would be powerful enough to overclock? I dont know anything about this so any AMD gaming experts out there could sure be a big help to me. I would appreciate it!

Last edited:
The game is probably freezing either due to the resolution itself or your CPU or GPU overheating. Also have to ask what RAM speed your kit is because AMD doesn't take well to high RAM speed like Intel does. If it's set too high that would cause freezing and crashing too.

9370 is 4.4GHz so that's right. Don't worry about overclocking anything until you have it running smoothly.

it says my RAM speed is currently 1600mhz.
I want to eventually run this at 5ghz if its safely possible

Also, I had all 3 monitors connected to my gpu via display port to mini dp. Then just yesterday one of my monitors (the right one) just stopped working and it would sometimes affect the far left one and make it shut off too. So I tried using an HDMI to mini dp cable for the original monitor that went out, and it started working again. But I noticed it was a little laggy compared to the other 2 monitors still connected via display port. what is going on here?

Last edited:
Ok nevermind. I tried plugging the display port from the monitor that wasnt working into the 4th mini dp slot on my GPU and they are all working again. weird. :Challenge: hmmm At face value, its like my radeon gpu's mini dp slot 3 doesnt want to accept display port connection anymore.

Don't worry about OCing your CPU because you'll want to concentrate your efforts into the GPU. It'll need way more GPU horsepower to push that resolution.

The reason it was laggy is because HDMI 1.4 reduced the refresh on the panel connected to it.

the radeon 295x2 is a monster so i figured it could take it well, and it seems to be able to handle the total res for the most part, but unless suggesting to buy another one (which i think running 4x 290x's would be overkill even for this setup right?) whats the first step i can take in getting the most out of my GPU?

Not really. Linus even said SLI 980s wasn't hardly enough to push that screen real estate and I agree. I wouldn't want to push that with even my 2 Titan X. Only thing you can do is OC it and hope for the best, or only game on one screen.

The Tech is there but I think it will be a few more generations of GPU's before a setup like that will run easily, Great setup but the power in the GPU needs to catch up to the resolutions some of the monitors can display.

Not really. Linus even said SLI 980s wasn't hardly enough to push that screen real estate and I agree. I wouldn't want to push that with even my 2 Titan X. Only thing you can do is OC it and hope for the best, or only game on one screen.

The Tech is there but I think it will be a few more generations of GPU's before a setup like that will run easily, Great setup but the power in the GPU needs to catch up to the resolutions some of the monitors can display.

Yea, I agree. However, it works awesome for editing/multitasking or music production which is what I originally purchased this setup for. Obviously gaming is where it lacks but I just play games occasionally and usually use the single screen since most games arent designed to handle this kind of resolution anyway (let alone the GPU as you stated). The only game ive played with all 3 in eyefinity is ace combat which actually seems to run quite well for what its worth. Im definitely keeping these monitors though with future upgrades in mind as GPU technology quickly catches up- especially with 4k getting bigger...

Eh, nobody was saying to ditch your monitors. I was just saying that the GPU isn't powerful enough to handle all 3 in Eyefinity. If you play on just one monitor then you shouldn't have too many issues. If you don't game that much then I wouldn't worry about overclocking your GPU or your system much if any at all. I know some things just asked to be tweaked but you have an all AMD rig which consumes a ton of power and puts off a ton of heat. Not sure it'd be worth the extra 5fps.

Back
Top Bottom