No screen on HP G62 laptop

porgorg

Baseband Member
Hi, long time no post. I'm trying to help a friend with their laptop as they said it was working fine but now the screen won't come on. You press the power button, the fan spins up, spins down but nothing appears on screen. The orange wifi light stays on but that's it. Tried attaching it to an external monitor but nothing appears.

I've taken it apart, cleaned the fan, checked all connections and the cpu and that's all fine. I did read about a similar problem with the caps lock light being on and having to cover all exhausts and run the machine for twenty minutes or so to reflow the electronics as they may have cracked. Although I've read that this is just a temporary fix to retrive data. I've got a 2.5 caddy so that's not an issue.

Just wondering if there's anything else I can try or is it pretty much unfixable?

Thanks

Hi, long time no post. I'm trying to help a friend with their laptop as they said it was working fine but now the screen won't come on. You press the power button, the fan spins up, spins down but nothing appears on screen. The orange wifi light stays on but that's it. Tried attaching it to an external monitor but nothing appears.

I've taken it apart, cleaned the fan, checked all connections and the cpu and that's all fine. I did read about a similar problem with the caps lock light being on and having to cover all exhausts and run the machine for twenty minutes or so to reflow the electronics as they may have cracked. Although I've read that this is just a temporary fix to retrive data. I've got a 2.5 caddy so that's not an issue.

Just wondering if there's anything else I can try or is it pretty much unfixable?

Thanks

Did you try hooking this up to an external display?

If you did that and you still have nothing then your mobo might have failed on you
pretty common with HP

Yeah, tried the external monitor and nothing.
I hoped it wasn't the motherboard but it looks very likely now. Looking through threads there's a lot of hate expressed towards HP regarding this.

Yeah, tried the external monitor and nothing.
I hoped it wasn't the motherboard but it looks very likely now. Looking through threads there's a lot of hate expressed towards HP regarding this.

Seems to be a common issue with HP's consumer line unfortunately...

When I had my computer store.
Almost 90% of the time when we had computers come in with no display, they were usually HPs and it was the motherboard board or gpu going out

There was an older hp model that was plagued...hp pavillion 6 or somthing, man those came in like crazy

When I had my computer store.
Almost 90% of the time when we had computers come in with no display, they were usually HPs and it was the motherboard board or gpu going out

There was an older hp model that was plagued...hp pavillion 6 or somthing, man those came in like crazy

DV6 series - yep. Those were notorious for failing GPU's and boards (due to the GPU).

DV6 series - yep. Those were notorious for failing GPU's and boards (due to the GPU).

yup
there was a way to cook it in the oven that would fix it.
I know someone who tried this and it worked.

Anyways, don't wanna go off topic.

Try switching out the ram sticks.
take them both out.
Try each stick on both slots
if you have extra, try a new one.
Do a power cycle
take the \battery off
flip the laptop over
and hold the power button for about a minute
and try it again without the battery or with
GL
this one is most probably dead

Okay, tried swapping out the ram stick krazyq but still nothing. I tried all the power cycling, no battery etc. but still no joy. Thanks anyway.
I'll have to presume it's dead but at least I've learnt a bit about HP laptops.

Okay, tried swapping out the ram stick krazyq but still nothing. I tried all the power cycling, no battery etc. but still no joy. Thanks anyway.
I'll have to presume it's dead but at least I've learnt a bit about HP laptops.

yeah sorry about that.
Good luck with your next purchase

Back
Top Bottom