Blue screen...............

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifreak3

In Runtime
So I had this type of problem before, here is a link for that page. But it is a little different this time. After running for a few hours my computer just spontaneously shuts down, this screen ofter appears:
(I have highlighted the part that has changed in red!)
(The screen has a blue background and the text is all in white)

A problem has been detcted and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer
IRQL_ NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:
(list of things to try but none of then apply to me!)
Technical information:
**** Stop: 0x00000050 (0xF76638A0,0x00000000,0x80506998,0x00000000)

Beginning physical dump of memory.
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

What does this mean and what can I do to prevent this from happening again?

No, I am not overclock anything. The only that is in my case that was not factory installed is one stick of 512 ram and a 2nd hard drive. The ram is the exact same kind/type/speed as the original ram I just wanted some more. The original: 2X256 DDR Dimms at 400 Mhz
The new: 1X512 DDR Dimm at 400 Mhz

I added the second hard drive as a slave to the one that come with my computer when I bought it about 1 year ago. I installed both the extra ram and the second hard drive about 5 months ago and have never had a problem with them so I don't really think either one of them is at fault!

Boot in Safe Mode, go into your Device Manager, view all of your devices by resource, and then by IRQ. I think you may have too many components set on one IRQ number, and if 2 components try to use it at the same time your computer will have conflicts! Come back when you have the number of devices on each IRQ number.

Mhh, it wouldn't cause an error like that though, I think this is a cpu based error... I've seen it many times while messing with hardware..

"When the IRQL is at Dispatch Level or higher, NT masks scheduler software interrupts, which means that NT effectively turns off the scheduler. In fact, device drivers (and NT) must not perform operations that require an immediate response by the scheduler when a processor is at an IRQL greater than or equal to Dispatch Level. This restriction includes doing anything that might indicate to NT that the current thread is giving up the CPU to wait for some event to occur because that action would cause the scheduler to find a new thread to execute. Another action that demands scheduler intervention is a page fault. When a thread accesses virtual memory that references data in the paging file, NT usually blocks the thread until the data is read. Therefore, at Dispatch Level or higher, NT does not permit access to memory not locked into the CPU's physical memory. If you've seen the IRQL_ NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL blue screen stop code, you've probably witnessed the effect of a driver violating these rules. "

Alright, so I booted in safe mode and I cheked out the device driver and sure enough under the IRQ section 2 sets of 2 different things were set on the same number (3 and 10 I think). I hit print screen and saved the picture on my desktop in safe mode. But now that I have re-booted in normal mode the picture is not on my desktop. Can I only access it in safe mode? Also, I noticed that my internet wouldn't work in safe mode. What gives? (I have a LAN connection if that matters!)

IRQ 3 is assigned to the serials ports com 2 and 4 and IRQ 10 is open for sound, scsi adapters, and network cards...

Your internet connection will not work in safe mode hence the term safe mode, as it loads only the necessary drivers to run the os. Since your nic drivers aren't necessary...

So I found the picture and listed below are the items that have the same value next to (PCI). I have a picture (jpeg) of the whole log and as a text document (.doc). I would upload those but I couldn't figure out how. Let me know if I can and I will!

(PCI) 3 Conexant D850 56K V.9x DFVc Modem
(PCI) 3 Intel (R) 82801EB SMBus Controller - 24D3

(PCI) 10 Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WMD)
(PCI) 10 Intel (R) PRO/100VE Network Connection

(PCI) 16 Intel (R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller 24D2
(PCI) 16 Intel (R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller 24DE

(PCI) 18 Intel (R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage COntrollers
(PCI) 18 Intel (R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller 24D7

wow you guys are really knowlegdable

here is my basic response

it is a ram problem. it might be going bad

however are you running it in dual channel mode? have you set your bios to the seup default? enabling some setting in your bios can make this happen like caching you bios or video ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom