Building a new desktop. Please help.

UnBr0ken

Solid State Member
Hello. I've only ever build one computer before and it's been years tbh. Anyway, started ordering parts and I'm starting to worry about everything lining up right. Only thing I haven't ordered yet is the processor, which I suppose is what this post is ultimately about. I'll include a list of the parts I've already purchased below:

Case: Deepcool Tessaract SW Mid Tower w/ Rubber coating, side window, & 2 blue LED fans
Motherboard: ASUS m5A78L-M/USB3 AM3+AMD 760G
G-card: ASUS R270-DC2OC-2GD5 Radeon R9 270 2GB
Harddrive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 - 1 TB
PSU: 1000w ATX Kentek, 14cm fan, Dual SLI Ready

The processor I plan on getting is:
AMD Fx-6300 Vishera 3.5 GHz

Not sure if I should go with the 6 core, or the 8 core...

The computer I built before was for bare-minimum use, this one started more geared towards a budget-gaming computer, I suppose, and I was trying to stay within a 600$ budget. Ended up making some small upgrades last minute and just wanted to make sure that everything I ordered is still able to work together. Most importantly, as I am about to order the processor, I was wondering if anyone could offer me some feedback as to if it would be better to go for the 8 core processor, or is that over the top? Also, just wanted to make sure that the processor was even compatible with my motherboard. Would the core-size even affect that at all?

1 thing for sure...... send back that power supply, you don't need 1000 watts and I'm pretty sure that 1 is CRAP. Get 500 to 600 quality PSU like seasonic or corsair. Since you on a budget I would think that cpu would be pretty good and I notice u didn't get any ram so 8gb *2x4gb* 1600 and cheapest one you can find will do. I'm sure more people here will help you out.

I have the same MB and CPU combo with 12gb ddr3 ram and love it, yes it's compatible. Even with no ssd it boots up very quick.

Actually, I do have ram. Just forgot to mention it.

Hyperx XMP Blu red series 8gb (2x4).

So whats wrong with the PSU? Old? ****ty manufacturer? Just curious cuz the last one I ordered was a 500 Corsair and the guy helping me build it said it wasn't gonna be enough power so I sold that one and bought the 1000 kentek

I might eventually upgrade it at some point, not sure tho. Regardless, the part is already ordered. I'd rather it be overkill than have to send the part back and get another one tbh lol

I might eventually upgrade it at some point, not sure tho. Regardless, the part is already ordered. I'd rather it be overkill than have to send the part back and get another one tbh lol

Cool. That's a nice MB CPU combo. Fast as hell:cool:

So whats wrong with the PSU? Old? ****ty manufacturer? Just curious cuz the last one I ordered was a 500 Corsair and the guy helping me build it said it wasn't gonna be enough power so I sold that one and bought the 1000 kentek

1000 is an overkill IMO. Do you plan on adding components in the future? If so, how much?

It's not that it's just "overkill" it's a crap PSU. They're a low quality brand using low quality parts. If you were to really push that PSU, it could blow - taking out other components with it.

The PSU is absolutely, positively one of THE most important components in your system, since every other component gets it's power from the PSU. If you use a low quality unit, you run the risk of damaging other components.

Return it, sell it, or whatever and invest in a better PSU such as this one:
SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

A 500w Corsair would be just fine for that setup as well, but I'd still suggest the M12II.

Please read this thread, under the Build Hierarchy section, paying attention to the PSU bit:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/your-cpu-modern-games-guide-those-building-261626/

Last edited:
Doesn't even have to be the M1211, it can be the S1211. Even the 520w version would be better than that 1000w trash.

Oops yeah the S1211 is what I meant to suggest. Was thinking M1211 for some reason (I think I even searched "SM1211" :lol:).

Back
Top Bottom