PC refuses to turn on....

mr.birdy

Baseband Member
amd 955
watercooled with cool master seidon
6gb(3x2gb) (old ram)/G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)(new ram)
1tb hdd (less then a year old)
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 (brand new)
FirePower ModXStream Pro 700MXSP(3 years old)
msi 7950(3 years old)
coolmaster haf 932(less then 6 months old)
windows 7 ultimate

Alright so for a little while now I was having an issue if i turned off my computer it was really hard to get it to turn back on. Ran great when it was on, never any issues, but if I turned it off sometimes it just was the worst about turning back on. I tried flipping power supply switch, reseating wires, ram all sorts of things but I never could find a pattern to get it to turn back on right away when it would have this issue. The other problem is it would stay off for different amounts of time(so it didn't seem like it overheated and needed to cool off).

When it was ready I could press the power button and it turns on just fine. Well one day I turned it off and couldn't get it to turn back on. Pulled everything, tested everything with a multimeter(psu pulling correct voltage, etc) and check it with a spare computer(so pulled individual components). Everything seemed fine. I tested everything except the mobo/processor(wasn't compatible with spare computer and I didn't know how to test it with multimeter).

So I sent the mobo off to the manufacture, they tested it, determined it was bad, sent me a brand new one. I get it, put everything together and STILL cannot get it to turn on. I now used a spare new psu. Skipped using the front panel to try and power on the mobo and instead used jumper wires. Have brand new ram and I am out of ideas. Tried different wall outlets, plugs in the power strip, different strips, any thing crazy I can think of i tried but stiIl will not turn on at all.

I am completely out of ideas. Online it shows all i need is ram,cpu,psu, mobo and i should be able to boot into bios. my ram,psu,mobo are brand new. cpu again did not give me any issues when it was last on. But assuming it was the issue it should still power on correct? Any advice on what to try next??

Last edited:
What's the name brand, wattage and age of your power supply?
Did you connect both the 8 pin and 24 pin connectors to the motherboard?

Last edited:
a 550w corsair should be good enough.
What kinda video card are you using? It's possible that if you had the board out, something might be shorting when you replaced it. try taking the board back out of the case (place the board on a non-conductive surface) and see if you can get it to post outside of the case, while it's ouit of the case you can recheck to see if all the memory is seated properly too

Last edited:
do you have the 2-6 pin connectors plugged into your video card? what happens when you try to bench test it? does it post or make any beeps?

well on mine i have a 6 and a 8 and yes they are plugged in. No post at all. Nothing on. No fans or led lights(pretty obvious when my computer turns on).

Also thank you for all the help. I really appreciate all this.

Check the front panel header, just to see if the pwr leads are on the correct pins.

Also, I see your running 2100 DDR3 memory, the specs for this board specify:
(Note 2) To support a DDR3 1866 MHz (and above) memory, you must install an AMD AM3+ CPU first.
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3894#sp
And you have an AMD 955 which would be a Phenom chip. not sure if that's your issue but try the old memory you had in it before your put the new memory in

If you can try the power supply in another pc or take it in to a shop to verify that it is functional. Just because it's new doesn't necessarily mean it works

Last edited:
pulled all wires off and mobo out. posted just fine. reinstall mobo, posted fine, added wires, no more boot....

check the wires one by one and turns out one of my front usb wires is bad because any time it is plugged in it will not let the computer power on. so i think i found my short. left it off, reinstalled everything(minus that one usb), and everything works great!

thank you so much for all your help!

Good to hear you got it fixed. Sometimes it takes trial and error diagnostics to locate something like that. I think if you contact CM about your usb port on that case, they might be able to provide you with a replacement

Back
Top Bottom