Rec./Best HDD... HGST?

frldyz

In Runtime
Background:
1. 1st build.
2. 3 mos. ago minimal computer knowledge. Went from learning what wi-fi and Bluetooth is ---> challenging myself to do a build.
3.. Will be basic home PC. Mainly file ( pic and home video storage ), with possible gaming. Nothing crazy....?

What I have so far:
i7 4790k
gigabyte Z97X gaming 3 mobo
Noctua NH-D14 fan/heat sink
Crucial Ballistix ( sport) 16gb RAM - 2 x 8gb sticks
Corsair AX 750 PSU
LG Blu-Ray internal optical drive w/ burner and BDXL
Samsung 500gb 850 PRO SSD
Internal card reader (don't laugh)
Corsair 760T case

What I still need to get:
HDD - for file storage
Another larger External HD
OS _ Leaning towards Win 7. We have 8.1 -HATE it!!!
Will more then likely upgrading my exhaust fan
Would like to add an additional fan on top or underneath HDD or HDD cooler case/fan
GPU- Want to run 3 monitors. Nothing crazy like 4k or too insanely expensive. Mainly because we have lots of windows open ( online ) @ a time. Do not intend to game with 3 monitors ( if I even game...?)

So I want to put the most reliable, least amount of failure HDD in. Would like to go with as much gb storage as possible. ( Even though it will be backed up on an external HD). Not sure if I am going to RAID1 as an additional HDD in case 1 fails.

After doing mainy searches and reviews. It sounds like the 4gb HGST got some great reviews.

http://www.ryli.net/the-best-and-fastest-hard-disk-drive-hdd/

http://www.storagereview.com/best_drives

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive/

Thanks everyone.
Would like to keep this as simple as possible. Nothing insanely expensive. Would like to keep $200 or less per HDD.

In all honesty, most all those websites are looking at a single bit of data from a single company... WD Blacks usually come with 5 year warranties, and are typically highly reliable, but you have to keep them cool, they put out a good bit of heat.

Just... stay away from Seagate, sorry, but I have had nothing but horrible luck out of them, as have many others in recent years. They used to be one of the best, now... I think they took after Maxtor.

Today's Seagate drives remind me of the old IBM deathstar drives, very unreliable.
WD Enterprise drives are a premium price, but those are the drives with the 5 yr warranties, which probably say's something about the quality of the drive. A 3 tb drive will run about $150.

I'm currently switching my line over to HGST but not due to reliability but simply because they clearly label their drives for exactly what they are. I've used Seagate for the past 10 years but they recently switched their model scheme over to mask their drive speeds and switch to 5900RPM. In those 10 years I've had one single drive die on me. I even have one of the infamous 1.5TB 7200.11 drives and it's still going although pretty much half dead.

I see you put down the Backblaze link, delete it as it's rubbish. Linus makes fun of it in his videos, as do a few other reputable sources including TweakTown that even wrote an article on it here.

Most of the guys here will harp on Seagate because they have had "such bad experiences", but to be quite honest with you any company is going to deliver a solid product be it WD, Seagate, or HGST. Every week I have one drive from each company fail on me at work, but that doesn't ward my buying in any way.

I just personally have had a bad track record with Seagate, though I still use them, I am annoyed with how they label drives.

For example, the Seagate ST2000DM001, there are two or three versions of this SAME MODEL DRIVE. The differences between the drives are the amount of platters, and platter density. One will have 4 platters, another version has 2 platters, then I think there's even a version with 4 platters. That means these are all drastically different disks, with the same model number. It is known for having a high failure rate. I have two of them, both have the random click of death, and they aren't even over a year old yet. It's worthless for me to RMA them, both from entirely different lots and suppliers, chances of getting one that's reliable? None.

I am sure WD does similar things, but so far I haven't had serious issues with any of the drives they have made aside from Greens failing slowly due to sector cancer.

Yea I've had nothing BUT bad WD drives except one which is the 160GB Black Scorpio I use in my external. 6 years and going strong. I still rec them though because it's all basically the same ****.

I hate Seagate masking their slower drives by redoing the name scheme and models. I have a bunch of friends buying 4TB drives thinking they are 7200 when they are really 5900. It ****ed me off enough to say **** it and go HGST.

Back
Top Bottom