How do I re-partition my HDD?

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi again guys!

Ok, one of my HDD's appeared to have died. the OS is on a SSD. I have a 2TB HDD that I initially installed for programs [yeah, I know, way overkill].

1.77TB is free of the grand total of 1.83TB.

Now my million dollar question:

How do I re-partition my HDD in a way that I can keep existing programs on the HDD, yet free up lots more space for storage?

Or, another way I suppose I could say it, how do I create a partition so I have programs on let's say, 400GB, and leave the rest for storage needs...?

Ok, that's it.

Please help me if you can!

Soar

Use a GParted LiveCD.

Boot off of it, then shrink the partition to the size you want from the right (click the Resize/Move button and drag the handle to the size you want), and then create a partition out of the unallocated space (make sure you select NTFS for the type).

Make sure you select the correct drive from the dropdown list on the upper-right corner before doing anything!!!!

If OP is running windows, wouldn't it make more sense to use the built-in utility?
At least that way you can avoid messing with the bios boot-order, if it isn't configured properly already.

you can use disk management to partition you hard drive such as create partition, shrink partition, extend partition. but you can only extend partition when there is unallocated space contiguous behind to the system partition, otherwise, the extend volume will gray out and you aren't allowed to extend partition.
in this situation, you can try AOMEI Partition Assistant , more information you can refer to partition hard drive windows 7

If OP is running windows, wouldn't it make more sense to use the built-in utility?
At least that way you can avoid messing with the bios boot-order, if it isn't configured properly already.

GParted IMO is easy, just because you're using a better GUI to do it.

Plus GParted does checks on the drive first, and runs a simulation run prior to actually performing the operations to make sure that it indeed can be done. GParted is the go-to tool for such activities IMO.

I find the disk management UI pretty straight-forward. That, and you don't have to restart your system after finishing. Guess it boils down to what OP is more comfortable using, since they both get the job done.

Back
Top Bottom