Monitor standby Problems

Xyru84

Beta member
[FONT=&quot]So for the past couple of months my monitor will go into standby mode randomly when booting the system and restarting it. I even have the problem now that when accessing the BIOS, it will go into standby mode after a couple of seconds.

This is not a permanent problem, it will happen randomly, and when it does, it normally requires me to restart the system a few times while selecting VGA mode after holding down F8 before I can access to the desktop again.

This problem is starting to bug me and have not been able to find a permanent fix to the problem.

Things I have tried:[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Reset BIOS to default[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Reset the C MOS[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Reinstall, update and try older version of my video card drivers[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]switched cables from graphics card to monitor with HDMI and DVI connections[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]System specs:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]CPU: i7 860[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Motherboard: P55A-UD5[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]GPU: Gigabyte 5870[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]PSU: Corsair tx850[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]RAM: Corsair 6 GB[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I'm at a loss why this is happening and what the problem is, and could really use some help[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

If it's possible, try a different monitor so you can determine if it's your pc or just a flakey monitor

+1, Could just be your monitor, also check your VGA port on the mobo see if its loose or got debris.. I had a similar issue and turned out I bent my VGA port slightly.

Thanks for the replies.

I have switch my monitor, power cable and video cable while the PC was powered down and removed from the power board.

When i turned the PC back on with the new monitor and cables, i noticed that the PC restarted itself on boot, was down for about 5 seconds and then turned booted itself up again.

However i immediately was greeted with the monitor going into standby mode while the system booted itself up. It took a few restarts going into VGA mode before i got to desktop again.

So i guess that rules out the monitor. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

I have switch my monitor, power cable and video cable while the PC was powered down and removed from the power board.

When i turned the PC back on with the new monitor and cables, i noticed that the PC restarted itself on boot, was down for about 5 seconds and then turned booted itself up again.

However i immediately was greeted with the monitor going into standby mode while the system booted itself up. It took a few restarts going into VGA mode before i got to desktop again.

So i guess that rules out the monitor. Any other ideas?

Thanks

That rules out the monitor, Try doing a restore point to a week before the problem started, maybe some sys files are corrupted or changed. I would think if your GPU was failing at post it would beep as its a core component.

Last edited:
Hi

Sorry for the late reply, but my PC got into a state where i was no longer able to get into my desktop.

@Joe C - I had already did a clean uninstall of GPU drivers and installed the latest versions.

@i2D__ - I had tried a system restore and that didn't work either

After not being able to get into desktop at all, i decided to try another 5870. After installing the GPU i was able to get back into desktop without a problem.

So i figured that either my GPU was dying or was over heating, so i went ahead and cleaned it (wasn't that dusty from what i could tell) and rearranged HHD locations and cables within the tower to try and give it more airflow and just for an overall clean of the system.

After doing all that, i reinstalled my GPU and turned on the PC and it booted straight to desktop.

So right now i am a little confused on what the problem could have been, but as for now, the PC is working fine again.

I'll keep this post updated in case things decide to go bad again.

Could have been a heat issue and cleaning it helped or it could have even been a loose connection on the contacts for the GPU/PCI-E slot, and removing the card/reinserting it fixed the connection.

Yeah i guess is was a loose connection GPU connections to the PCI-E slot.

I am going to rule out heat as the tower has enough fans to keep up good air circulation within the PC case and when i cleaned it while i still had the issue, there was almost no dust.

All seems to working as per normal again. Thanks for your help Tech-forums

Back
Top Bottom