Looking at getting a laptop

Yeah, I will likely have my headphones on more often than not when using the laptop, so the slight improvement in sound quality wouldn't mean to much to me.

I'm digging that Acer though, so i'll do some shopping around for that model when I get home later, right now I think that's looking like my best bet. What could I expect to run with the hardware in that system? As in; how well would it run software like Autodesk Inventor, and how would it handle games like Archeage and possibly MechWarrior Online? If it can handle Inventor I could work on projects for school with some much appreciated mobility, and if it has the power for me to play my games I will be a very happy boy, as I could play them whenever it suits my fancy, rather than just when I'm at home in front of my desktop. :D

It's been a long ass time since I've done any gaming on a laptop, and it was an Acer back then to. God I wish I wouldn't have spent so money on WoW subscriptions back in the day...

It'll certainly run those applications, though I wouldn't expect to run the games past medium settings. The R7 265M is a mid-range notebook GPU. Once you move to mid-high range, you're looking at about $1000+

It'll certainly run those applications, though I wouldn't expect to run the games past medium settings. The R7 265M is a mid-range notebook GPU. Once you move to mid-high range, you're looking at about $1000+

This is why I like getting used gaming laptops. $700-1000 range can get a pretty beastly gaming laptop if you can find a good deal on a used one.

That is beautiful news; medium graphics settings would be fantastic if I can take the games with me anywhere. If I want to play the game with higher settings, I'll just do so on my desktop.

I actually just got home now, so i'm going to start doing some price hunting on that Acer in a little bit.

As for hunting down a used gaming laptop, I would love to get a high-end rig, but I don't really need a laptop that powerful because I have my desktop for serious mode gaming. That and anything pre-owned I've ever bought turned out to be a lemon. I just have horrible luck though, even when I new things it's 50/50 whether it'll work or not lol.

As for hunting down a used gaming laptop, I would love to get a high-end rig, but I don't really need a laptop that powerful because I have my desktop for serious mode gaming. That and anything pre-owned I've ever bought turned out to be a lemon. I just have horrible luck though, even when I new things it's 50/50 whether it'll work or not lol.

All 3 of my gaming laptops were used/pre-owned :p.

Asus G73jh - $800 (wife uses it now)
MSI GT780DX-406us - $760 - sold it to buy my latest one
MSI GT70 2oc-059us - $1100 - $700 = $400, which is my current system.

Alright, I think I may have found it for a better price!

There are two of the same laptop listed on Newegg.ca, and the cheaper one is only $599.99; but although they have a different product number, I see no difference in the hardware / specs of the machines WHATSOEVER. Am I missing something, or are these the same machine, but with one nearly $100 cheaper than the other?

Here is a link to the listing on Newegg : Acer Aspire E E5-551G-T430

Looking at the specs of the machines on the site, they have the same CPU, same GPU, same RAM, same... Everything. If it really is the same thing, i'll probably buy it since that is a pretty good price.

Hey all, i'm back for advice again, but this time it's about laptops!

So, I bought a samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1" quite a while ago to replace my old laptop, bought a nice case and bluetooth keyboard for it, and it was great! But, now that i've had it long enough for the novelty to wear off, I barely use it anymore and want to switch back to the laptop world.

The mobile games got old within the first few months, watching my shows on it can be uncomfortable because of the smaller screen and awkward positions I need to be in while doing so, and even with the keyboard (which is far too small for me) I absolutely hate using it for my writing and schoolwork.

Essentially, i'm looking for a laptop that will be functional for the things I just mentioned; doing schoolwork in Excel, Powerpoint, and Word, hanging out on forums and running a simple website/blog, and watching my shows while comfortably seated on my bed/couch. But aside from the things I could sort-of do on the tablet; I wouldn't mind being able to play some of my games on steam, and if it can run AutoCAD and Autodesk Inventor it would give me more maneuverability when working on projects for school. I would also like to know it will last me a good while.

The one i'm looking at right now is the Android Tablet, but the only two reviews on the site say they had problems with it. The cheaper one HERE has a lot more reviews, and most of them are positive. I could also go a step up into the 5000 series and get THIS, although I can't see much of a difference between it and the first 3000 series I linked. I'm looking for a 15" because all my old laptops were 15", and I found the size was perfect; anything bigger or smaller feels awkward.

So basically, my question here is; is a Dell Inspiron any good for what I would want/in general? I am looking at Dell laptops because I would be able to finance it, which will allow me to save the money for now and pay it off in the summer once I start working full-time again, and all before the 6 month interest-free period ends! :p

Thanks in advance!

did you try hp i5 envy ts m6 , its a touch screen laptop but really amazing features and specifications .

did you try hp i5 envy ts m6 , its a touch screen laptop but really amazing features and specifications .

I took a look at it on a few different retail sites; it has very scattered reviews, and it's actually a bit out of my budget. Then again, I may have been looking at the wrong machine, since I don't have the model number or anything to look up. I also couldn't find one on any of the sites I usually order computer parts and such from, and I couldn't find it on the HP website either.

Do you have a link you could pass to me? I would still like to check it out, maybe if I had a model number I could find some better reviews for it. My desktop was an HP before I tore out all the hardware and built my gaming rig with the case; and despite being around 5 years old when I upgraded, it had barely slowed down at all and I never had any problems with it, so I do like HP for computers.

My March break starts on Monday, so I will probably be ordering the laptop this weekend or during the break, depending on a few things. The Acer is the direction i'm going right now, but i'm still open to shopping around til i'm ready to order.

Alright, I think I may have found it for a better price!

There are two of the same laptop listed on Newegg.ca, and the cheaper one is only $599.99; but although they have a different product number, I see no difference in the hardware / specs of the machines WHATSOEVER. Am I missing something, or are these the same machine, but with one nearly $100 cheaper than the other?

Here is a link to the listing on Newegg : Acer Aspire E E5-551G-T430

Looking at the specs of the machines on the site, they have the same CPU, same GPU, same RAM, same... Everything. If it really is the same thing, i'll probably buy it since that is a pretty good price.

You missed a link in my original post recommending that notebook. Look at the DirectCanada link and use it to pricematch with NCIX.

I did the pricing work for you ;)

Back
Top Bottom