SSD Locked

Joe Drage

Solid State Member
Hello everyone,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, this is my first time posting on here and I am hoping someone may be able to help me. :)
A few days ago I decided to do a full reset on my computer (Windows 8.1 64 Bit) and I put the installation disc in but it said Windows 8 cannot be installed on this drive.
I have 2 hard drives in my computer; an 120gb SSD for the operating system, programs etc.. and a 2 TB HDD for documents which I unplugged. However, now the computer will not boot up from the SSD because it says that there is a required partition missing. I did some research in to this and found out that Windows 8.1 has locked the hard drive and I do not know how to unlock it again. I took an old hard drive out of my old laptop with Windows 7 on it and the computer boots from that fine so it has to be my SSD.

Does anyone know how you can unlock an SSD? I do have access to windows 7 and when I go to disk management I can see the SSD but when I unplug the Windows 7 hard drive, the computer will still not boot up from the SSD.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you in advance
Joe :)

Hello everyone,
I have 2 hard drives in my computer; an 120gb SSD for the operating system, programs etc.. and a 2 TB HDD for documents

Windows will install the boot partition on the second drive, When you originally installed windows on the ssd, it probably put the boot partition on the 2 tb drive at that time. You removed the 2tb drive and lost the boot partition. Adding another drive with a boot partition did work for you but you really need to put the boot partition on the ssd.
How to Manually Repair Windows 7 Boot Loader Problems

Thanks for the reply! I installed my second hard drive a few months after the first and I have plugged it back in and it as made no difference. The operating system is installed on the SSD and when I type bootrec /ScanOs it does not pick up on any windows installations. I think it is the SSD which is the problem.. as I said before I think it has locked itself as when I try to reset the pc it says "The drive where windows is installed is locked. Unlock and try again". I am using Windows 8.1 not windows 7 on this machine. Any ideas how to unlock the SSD? :)

Thank you, that worked..however it wiped my SSD and there were a few files on there which I didnt intend to delete. Is there any way at all that I can get those files back? :(

Thanks
Joe

Back
Top Bottom