Opinions on fan controllers... this is what im thinking...

frldyz

In Runtime
Almost finished with buying all the components for my 1st build.
This is what I have:
i7 4790k
gigabyte z97x gaming 3 - mobo
noctua nd-h14
Samsung 850pro SSD (512gb)
corsair ax 750 psu ( 80 gold )
crucial ballistix sport 16gb RAM (2x8gb)
corsair 760t case
lg internal Blu-ray burner
internal flash card reader ( yes I still use flash cards... feel free to laugh )

What I intend to buy:
2 4tb HDD in Raid 1
GPU - have no clue on GPU yet. Still educating myself. But I will run 3 monitors.
Thinking of buying some HDD coolers or fans.
Possibly some LED light strips..
Possible extra fans to blow from top of corsair case in or out

-------------------

Now heres my ?. I have 1 extra slot left on my case. I am thinking of adding a fan controller. Is it needed? Probally not. But I want to mod my set-up and case as much as possible.

Tell me If I got this correct. A fan controller will only adjust the RPM of fans that have PWN? A fan that does not have PWM just runs @ the RPM it is? Would it be possible to mount the fan controller somewhere on my desk. Possibly underneath a shelf that my monitor is under? My case will be mounted high on a shelf. So viewing the fan controller would be a PITS.

These are what Im looking @
NZXT Sentry-2 5.25" Touch Screen Fan Controller - Newegg.com

AeroCool Touch 2000 Controller, Panel - Newegg.com

KINGWIN FPX-002 Performance LCD Fan Controller Black - Newegg.com

NZXT AC-SEN-3-B1 Sentry 3 5.4'' Touch Screen Fan Controller - Newegg.com

I just think it would be cool to mount this right in front of my above my monitors. Run the wires to the back and into the back of the case​

Fan controllers can regulate 3 or 4 pin fans depending on the controller. 3 pin fans just reduce voltage but on a lot of fans that also greatly reduces performance and static pressure. It's not really necessary though. If you get good fans you can set and forget, and I'd set on low considering IIRC you won't be gaming on this build.

As to mounting the controller away from the PC. You'd have to extend and route each fan cable to the controller. It's not wireless. You'd also have to route a 12/5v source to the controller as well.

My honest opinion if you REALLY want to control your fans just get the NZXT Grid+ and plug all your fans into it.

I also would not do RAID 1 on two 4TB drives.

Almost finished with buying all the components for my 1st build.
This is what I have:
i7 4790k
gigabyte z97x gaming 3 - mobo
noctua nd-h14
Samsung 850pro SSD (512gb)
corsair ax 750 psu ( 80 gold )
crucial ballistix sport 16gb RAM (2x8gb)
corsair 760t case
lg internal Blu-ray burner
internal flash card reader ( yes I still use flash cards... feel free to laugh )

What I intend to buy:
2 4tb HDD in Raid 1
GPU - have no clue on GPU yet. Still educating myself. But I will run 3 monitors.
Thinking of buying some HDD coolers or fans.
Possibly some LED light strips..
Possible extra fans to blow from top of corsair case in or out

Help me reunderstand your question, you have a nice corsair case "noctua nd-h14"

From looking online briefly it sucks air through the front intake circles and pushes it out.
Do you "REALLY" need to control your fans manually ?
If you like to accept my suggestion, don't bother with automatic fan control adjusters the one you linked.
Go into the your bios and set the fans rpm speed to 50%-75%.
Also you have a good heatsink as long as you give it good thermal paste.
You shouldn't need to do much inside of your case unless something dies.
Also for your raid comment, put 1 hard drive on raid 0 put another on raid 1.
Put the optical drive on raid 2 or 5.
This is how have I do my raids and they stay fine not unless the sata cable craps out on me.
Consider looking into a sata western digital hard drive for your os.​

Back
Top Bottom