luhseps

Solid State Member
Hello.
I used to have a little gaming computer:
intel core i5 4690k
16GB RAM
GTX 980
250GB Samsung 840 SSD (running the OS)
1TB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (for data)

I rebuild this computer, new motherboard and all...
intel core i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 RAM
GTX 980
512GB Samsung 850 Pro (running the OS)
2TB Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB (it suffers from clicking so Ill be replacing it)

Now heres the problem...
I can get and view files from the Samsung 840 SSD using a USB to Sata cable.
But I cannot get the 1TB Wester Digital Caviar Black one to mount or read data.
It shows up in "My computer" (drive letter F:\)
But no data bar or name, just "Removable Disk"
The drive is functioning perfectly. Worked fine in the old computer up until I plugged it into my new computer with a Sata to USB cable.

I have so much data on that drive that I cannot live without. I do backups but there is new data that I cannot afford to loose.

My life is on that drive, sounds over the top but from the start of my computing life, everything is on it.

Please please help me.

I've tried so many tools like EASEus, USB Device Viewer, Get Data Back and so many things.

I have no money for data recovery... of course, I spent it all on the new computer.

I feel so stupid for not doing a backup of that drive before I built the new PC.

Tomorrow (Because its midnight here)
I will put back together my old PC and see if I can read the data from it like that.

If anyone has an answer just tell me. I am so desperate Im nearly in tears.

I will be so thankful if anyone can help.
Please.

Attachments

• drive 4.PNG
    drive 4.PNG
    28.1 KB · Views: 1
  • drive.PNG
    drive.PNG
    33.1 KB · Views: 3
  • drive2.PNG
    drive2.PNG
    24.7 KB · Views: 4
  • drive3.jpg
    drive3.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 4
Platter hard drives are very fragile, did you drop it, bump it or mishandle this drive in anyway?

Nope. Worked fine for months in the first PC but as soon as its used in a new PC... It all goes down hill.

Thank you to all the suggestions but I did the most time consuming one... Rebuild the old PC, put the SSD and Hard drive in it and then when it worked, I copied all the data off it and put it on an external drive.

Sounds like it had a fancy partition table of some kind setup...

I didn't specify it to do anything like that.
I built the PC, I installed Windows to the SSD.
When the PC was running, I formatted the hard drive via "Disk Management" to an NTFS file system.

I did install some applications to it (after all, I only had a 250GB SSD and I didnt want to use up too many write cycles) and to be honest I dont know what Windows did with it, maybe it made some changes for security purposes so that in case the drive was ever stolen it would not work in another computer... ??

Could have had BitLocker enabled, could have had a special Dynamic partiton setup, there's really no telling... But I am willing to bet for some reason it had a Dynamic partition setup, and the data for that partition would have been stored in the OS on your SSD. When it was hooked upto the other machine, that data wasn't available, so it showed as RAW, that's what I am willing to bet happened.

Back
Top Bottom