Motherboard suddenly won't detect installed RAM

zantaff

Solid State Member
ASUS P8Z77-V Pro

I left my computer on sleep when I went out- I came back and it had shut down. When I tried turning it back on, I was greeted with the “Cannot detect any RAM installed” beep code (One long two short).
Since the computer wouldn't even boot, I had limited options.
So I took everything out. I cleaned the front and back of the mobo, cleaned the RAM contacts, switched the positions (2-8GB; 2-2GB modules) and used that MemOK button. Nothing. (If you're wondering why I have 20GB of ram, it's because I use Autodesk applications and other similar programs.)

Is there anything I can do to remedy this issue? (Short of buying all new ram.)
I'm wondering what happened, and am thinking there may have been a power surge or something similar, but that doesn't really explain why only the ram modules are not working.

~Thanks

Check the capacitors on the motherboard for signs of wear. Also, have you tried just a single stick yet? It's not advised to mix different capacity sticks of memory either.

that ASUS P8Z77-V Pro motherboard uses Japanese solid capacitors, chances are high that they are O.K.
Like corrosive stated, either you have a compatibility issue or one of your memory sticks crapped out on you and you need to get a replacement.
How is your memory configuration? 2or 4 sticks and what sizes in gb per slot?

that ASUS P8Z77-V Pro motherboard uses Japanese solid capacitors, chances are high that they are O.K.
Like corrosive stated, either you have a compatibility issue or one of your memory sticks crapped out on you and you need to get a replacement.
How is your memory configuration? 2or 4 sticks and what sizes in gb per slot?

I have a pair of 8Gb in the A sockets and a pair of 2Gb in the B sockets (that I got from an older computer). They are installed like this: 8-2-8-2. I did just try the 8Gb but I'll fiddle with the arrangement again.

It sucks to have to buy new memory, but I'll start to look for some replacement sticks. Hope that helps.

Thanks

Do do not necessarily need to replace all of your memory, probably just one stick. I'd say just about all memory does have a lifetime warranty too, just a matter of contacting the manufactures support site and apply for an RMA.
I suggest that you remove all the memory modules except one and leave that in the last slot. Run a program called Memtest on each stick of memory in the same slot for a over night and see if that memory shows any errors, even one error would mean it needs to be replaced. It's time consuming but it will tell you which memory module is bad. Although you should be able to see which one is bad by just booting up to one stick at a time until that bad stick will give you the beep error.
You can get Memtest here, (use the free version)
MemTest86 - Download now!
burn the .iso using your favorite iso burning program to either a bootable usb stick or a cd disk, set your bios to boot from one of those as the first toot device
PassMark MemTest86 - Memory Diagnostic Tool - Technical Information

Last edited:
I have a pair of 8Gb in the A sockets and a pair of 2Gb in the B sockets (that I got from an older computer). They are installed like this: 8-2-8-2. I did just try the 8Gb but I'll fiddle with the arrangement again.

It sucks to have to buy new memory, but I'll start to look for some replacement sticks. Hope that helps.

Thanks

Try each stick on there own first in each slot to rule out or find stick/slot issue, as I dont think they all would of died..:cool:

yes I did....it's why I posted that zantaff should check each memory module in slot 2A (single channel) first, in order to avoid any other boot issues

Thanks for all your advice.

I tried testing the memory sticks in every possible configuration, no dice. Since I don't really have a good way to test my ram (this computer is a MacBook) that option was out as well.
So, I ran over to the electronics store and picked up some new 2x4GB PNY Memory.
Plugged the new sticks in and got the same results - which leads me to conclude that the whole motherboard is dead.

Any suggestions for a comparable replacement? I built this PC from scratch, but have never needed to take out and replace the mobo before. Anything in particular I should look out for?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom