Help me rebuild my Gaming Rig.

The H81 is a good board but for a little extra you could get a B85 board that has 4 slots, might help if you end up keeping it longer than you planned. Actually it's a little cheaper, not sure if it's as over clockable but PP knows more on that subject than I do, What do you think of this board PPMguire
Canada Computers & Electronics | Motherboards | ASUS B85M-G Socket 1150 Intel B85 Chipset | Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz, 1x PCI-Express 3.0 x16 | Giga LAN, 4x SATA 6.0Gb/s, 2x SATA 3.0Gb/s, 4x USB 3.0, 8x USB 2.0 | DVI/HDMI/D-Sub, Micro ATX

Last edited:
What? The norm is having 8GB of RAM in a 2x4GB configuration. The norm is not having dual GPUs. Crossfire is 2 or more AMD graphics cards, SLI is 2 or more Nvidia graphics cards. One technology isn't more "powerful" than the other, it depends on the cards in question.

Ya "what?" is the right question lol.

No clue why I worded it like that. What I meant to say was
The norm is leaning AWAY from 2 GPU's and 4 slot ram.

I'm thinking, more parts, more power. But especially after reading your CPU thread that is not the case.

Especially for me, what I want, the mobo is perfect. The price is even better. Same with the CPU.
And I'll pick up 2 x 4gb cards once I get her built.

Can't thank you guys enough.

Now to shop for a GPU.

I forget who makes it but there is a strap and handle that fits on a mid tower so it can be carried a tad easier, I do a little searching to see if I can find it

That sounds right up my alley. I'll look into that.

Also really like the mobo you linked too.
Just wanna see what PP has to say like you said.

Not even sure they still sell that strap but if not it shouldn't be too hard to make something, would be nice to have a strap to toss it over your shoulder to move it place to place, Might make something up for myself on one of my rigs. Got a few friends wanting to do LAN parties.

Last edited:

Haha! Well thank you! Didn't know something like that even existed.
It's funny I looked at it and I'm like "wtf is this" lol!
But upon looking further, it's exactly what I need!
Get a decent/sleek/fair size tower, throw that on it. And there I go, up and down my stairs.

I gotta tell Ya, the full tower is a complete waste of money, bulky, looks dumb, and even read places it's worse because it's more space to heat in a sense?

I'm just attached because it was some limited edition and has a robotic dragon on the side lol!

Definitely out grew it.

I know what you mean, had my first tower a long time, changed the guts a few times and finally started building good systems lol, My first build was a plainJane off white case with **** poor cooling lol but always had a system of some sort, just held onto the case, Finally built a spare parts PC for my well now Ex girlfriends kids because they didn't even have a pc. But had that case for some 15+ years lol

No OC on the B85 that I know of. I only have a bios for the H81-E which is why I linked it instead.

If they ever had the damn thing in stock this is what I'd be getting myself. Sadly the only LANing I do anywhere is Quakecon.
G-VANS LB2 Deluxe LAN Bag by G-Vans (Black color)

To put down a correction.
Yes, 2 GPUs are more powerful than one but there is always a catch. Scaling isn't always perfect, way more power consumption (your TX850 is perfectly fine for a LOT of rig though), and way more heat output. You also have the issue of micro-stutter and game support.

2 RAM slots aren't the "norm" really, but more so on cheaper mainstream boards because 2x4GB IS the norm for all typical rigs today.

Well I guess it will be a choice of over clocking or spending extra on new ram, either one is a good choice for a budget build, choices choices lol

S
No OC on the B85 that I know of. I only have a bios for the H81-E which is why I linked it instead.

If they ever had the damn thing in stock this is what I'd be getting myself. Sadly the only LANing I do anywhere is Quakecon.
G-VANS LB2 Deluxe LAN Bag by G-Vans (Black color)

Don't want to go too off topic but for a LAN rig I'm rebuilding my old system with my buddies old 1366 board and the I7 920 with my SLI 470's Need a new PS for it for SLI but might get a Seasonic modular for my main rig and use my old Corsair TX650 for it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom