Whats SATA & Ultra ATA? Whats the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
sata
= faster
= smaller cable allows more air flow
= single driver per channel [eliminates the need for jumpers]

cons
= can't think of any

u-ata old news.

I am purchasing a new PC so I wanted a Seagate Barracuda 80GB and 200GB hard drives. I just looked up on Seagates website about if they have both drives in SATA models and they do so I will purchase these with your advice accordingly. Thanks again "xotix" for your help.

You have to have a mobo that supports SATA. You could get a SATA controller card, but those tend to suck and if you want your SATA drive to be the boot drive, you'll have problems.

S-ATA also calle serial ATA have following benefits:

- New Technology

- 150MB/s data transfer rate

- thin data wires, you have less clutter in your system as well your air flow inside the casing improves (front to back)

- Hot swapalble (means u can unplug the cables from a running hard drive), but his I dont thik is some advantage, as no body un-plus wires in a running system, speciallly as if the systems casing is closed.

- jumperless, your primary and secondary depends on on what connector u attached the drive.

- spindle rotations can range from 7200rpm to 15000.

- quiet, infact i found them dead silent as conpared to my IDE Maxtor 7200 RPM in previous machine.

Cons: I havent seen any, except that they are little expensive than IDE hard drives:

now Ultra ATA, also called P-ATA (or parrallel ATA), is the advanced form of P-ATA, with data throughput of max 133MB/s

- spindle rotations range from 5400 to max of 7200RPM (in desktop drives)

- Jumper settings allow u to nonimate master and slaves

- 1.5-2 inch thick data cables, difficult to bend at tight corners and blocks efficent air flow.

- cannot be HOT Swapped like S-ATA does, but again, hot swapping to me isnt some real good advantage.

- louder than S-ATA in some cases

and last, good point = cheaper

Dunno about silent! :)

The little SATA drives are pretty quiet, but my 120's, 160's, and 200's scratch like tape-spindles! It's not annoying or loud, but definately more noticeable than my old ATA's.

Are onboard SATA controllers directly connected to the memory? Using southbridge or not? What about hypertransport etc? Does anybody know?
Cause I don't think the 150MB/s is possible if it uses the southbridge :confused:

spindle speed does counts, as u cannot expect from a 4000RPM fan to be silent than fan running @ 1500RPM.

as well it depends on manufacturer, my WD is a little loud than my seagate though @ 120GB, but it makes me believe that WD is on 10,000 RPM and seagate is on 7200, thats y a little more noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom