Help me rebuild my Gaming Rig.

That sounds like a good plan, Just might be a good idea to get one with 4 ram slots so you can use what you have plus some new stuff to get the 8 gigs

That sounds like a good plan, Just might be a good idea to get one with 4 ram slots so you can use what you have plus some new stuff to get the 8 gigs

Exactly. I understand CPU's a lot more after reading PP Mguire's thread. Blew my mind, and actually explained things to me that I could understand. Things that I've briefly read and skimed over in other areas of the Internet. But it was actually explained to me so I could understand it.
I'd have to refer back to it, in order to get it right. But the whole "more cores arnt always better, GPU over cpu," stuff really put a lot into perspective for me.

I should have built my computer myself all those years ago, and researched better.
I have stupid attachment to it, that's why I want to keep some parts from it. I don't want to just scrap it, but it seems im going that route eventually. For now I just want a playable PC.

I'm going to purchase the motherboard and CPU PP Mguire linked to earlier. I'm going to do more research on them also to understand it better this time.
Also reading into DDR3 and DDR4, trying to understand ram better.
I have a power supply, hard drive, DVD RW and case that I know are ok.

Motherboard, cpu, and gpu are next on my list. I'll have them within a few days. Just want to research a bit more.

Also I read in the CPU Stickied thread don't make threads like this unless you can build the rig within a week. I am so sorry I am going over that time. And if a mod wants to remove this thread I understand. It will be another week or so before I have everything up and running I assume.

Again I want to thank you guys for your time and help.

((EDIT))
Also are my motherboard and CPU as is worth anything? If so I can get a few $$ out of it. If not, I will throw them out. I also have the 2 other destroyed GPU's.
If the answer is garbage than I would have no problem sending them off to someone here if they could make any use out of them.

Last edited:
Can't really sell things unless you can prove they work.

I thought I had posted in this thread already but I guess not, and I forgot what I typed earlier. Sorry about that.

Don't worry about DDR4 right now. It's still very new and very high enthusiast. RAM speed doesn't matter much anyways as we are nowhere near being memory bandwidth bottlenecked on the system.

This thread doesn't exactly apply to the "wait to buy" situation. You came with troubleshooting then upgrading situation. What I meant on there is basically don't come on here making a long thread asking about parts for a build then say oh I'm gonna build in 2 months.

Basically what I was gonna say in my last post which got lost in a black hole is this. Clockspeed is clockspeed, there is no difference there. 4GHz is 4GHz. The difference is the underlying architecture and efficiency. Intel has a higher cycles per clock which makes them faster at single threaded operations. A good way to put it is this. You can have 2 different cars with the same horsepower but one will be faster than the other. Better launch, better power to weight ratio, ect. Same kind of logic can be applied here.

Can't really sell things unless you can prove they work.

I thought I had posted in this thread already but I guess not, and I forgot what I typed earlier. Sorry about that.

Don't worry about DDR4 right now. It's still very new and very high enthusiast. RAM speed doesn't matter much anyways as we are nowhere near being memory bandwidth bottlenecked on the system.

This thread doesn't exactly apply to the "wait to buy" situation. You came with troubleshooting then upgrading situation. What I meant on there is basically don't come on here making a long thread asking about parts for a build then say oh I'm gonna build in 2 months.

Basically what I was gonna say in my last post which got lost in a black hole is this. Clockspeed is clockspeed, there is no difference there. 4GHz is 4GHz. The difference is the underlying architecture and efficiency. Intel has a higher cycles per clock which makes them faster at single threaded operations. A good way to put it is this. You can have 2 different cars with the same horsepower but one will be faster than the other. Better launch, better power to weight ratio, ect. Same kind of logic can be applied here.

It is unbelievable how you can explain computers to someone that knows very little. WITH the analogy of cars (ANOTHER thing I have very little knowledge about) and still have it make complete sense to me. Bravo🙌

Ram - back burner.
I think ram I think speed so I think turbo.
When I need to be thinking engine and frame first. Understood. Sticking with what I have. Hoping they work. And will grab another 4gb to make 8. DDR3.

Completely understood about the wait and build "theory".
Completely makes sense especially with technology advancing. Not to mention the package deals and just plain deals that are limited time.

For a bigger picture into my brain:

My plan is to get this PC going. Put $2-400 into it. Use it for a couple months. Then sell it. I hate the huge size of this thing and even tho I have the emotion attachment to it. I want a laptop OR a smaller mid-low gaming system that is somewhat portable so I can use to watch movies and play 1-2 specific games. (LoL and a MMORPG like WoW.

I won't even be using the web. I use my phone for that. I want somthing I can hook up to my television downstairs to watch a movie. (Downloaded from torrents and such)
But then can bring it to my room and game.
I love the compactness of a laptop.
But want something upgradable and powerful. That isn't 3-4k.
Anyway that's a topic for another thread.
Just want it known, I don't think I intend on keeping this rig for awhile(long enough to upgrade it further) but want a few more months out of it and also really enjoying the research and building of it (another reason I don't want a laptop and want to build something)

((EDIT))

@PP Mguire-
Do you want this "junk"?
I will mail it to you if you think you could make use out of it.

Last edited:

A used gaming laptop would be perfect then. Can be found for $1200 or less (I've gotten 2 for $800 a piece, and my current one was $1200, but sold one of the gaming laptops I had for nearly what I paid for it, so the upgrade only cost $400).

A used gaming laptop would be perfect then. Can be found for $1200 or less (I've gotten 2 for $800 a piece, and my current one was $1200, but sold one of the gaming laptops I had for nearly what I paid for it, so the upgrade only cost $400).

Well you just threw my brain for a loop.

Build or not to build,
Convenience over a desktop,
What to do with what I got,
Ahhhhh...
Haha , well good to hear. I didn't think I could get it for 800 Thats not bad at all.

Could you possibly just mention a few key bottom line features I should look for?
I was thinking 2-3ghz and definetly a dedicated GPU.

It is unbelievable how you can explain computers to someone that knows very little. WITH the analogy of cars (ANOTHER thing I have very little knowledge about) and still have it make complete sense to me. Bravo🙌

Ram - back burner.
I think ram I think speed so I think turbo.
When I need to be thinking engine and frame first. Understood. Sticking with what I have. Hoping they work. And will grab another 4gb to make 8. DDR3.

Completely understood about the wait and build "theory".
Completely makes sense especially with technology advancing. Not to mention the package deals and just plain deals that are limited time.

For a bigger picture into my brain:

My plan is to get this PC going. Put $2-400 into it. Use it for a couple months. Then sell it. I hate the huge size of this thing and even tho I have the emotion attachment to it. I want a laptop OR a smaller mid-low gaming system that is somewhat portable so I can use to watch movies and play 1-2 specific games. (LoL and a MMORPG like WoW.

I won't even be using the web. I use my phone for that. I want somthing I can hook up to my television downstairs to watch a movie. (Downloaded from torrents and such)
But then can bring it to my room and game.
I love the compactness of a laptop.
Just want it known, I don't think I intend on keeping this rig for awhile(long enough to upgrade it further) but want a few more months out of it and also really enjoying the research and building of it (another reason I don't want a laptop and want to build something)

((EDIT))

@PP Mguire-
Do you want this "junk"?
I will mail it to you if you think you could make use out of it.
If you want to send them to me that's fine. I have spare parts to see what works and what doesn't.

Well you just threw my brain for a loop.

Build or not to build,
Convenience over a desktop,
What to do with what I got,
Ahhhhh...
Haha , well good to hear. I didn't think I could get it for 800 Thats not bad at all.

Could you possibly just mention a few key bottom line features I should look for?
I was thinking 2-3ghz and definetly a dedicated GPU.
For 400 bucks you're looking at a pretty weak laptop. Just as an FYI.

Thanks! I PMed you about the parts.
Also, do you mean a $800 laptop?
Because I wouldn't want to get one now, I want to spend that $400 roughly into this computer. Then sell it after its in working order and put some more money together to build a small gaming rig. I've seen some Rly cool small cases. Or get a used gaming laptop for around $800.
Still up in the air on that and it's further down the road.
I found this motherboard and CPU from the retailers site near me. They are cheaper and not the same but still looking.
I know the motherboard only has dual ram slots but I will use it test mine, or grab better ones. Don't mind spending a bit more on good ones.
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=4_1210_65&item_id=063172

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_1207_1205_335&item_id=052729

Back
Top Bottom