New Power Supply Connections

Hotwire

Beta member
I've replaced the power supply in my Acer desktop with an Insignia ATX 400. I'm afraid to start it up because the SATA connector to the hard drive and disk drive has an extra orange wire that the old connector doesn't have. 5 wires instead of 4 on the old connector. Does this matter?

That extra wire is a 3.3v wire, almost no consumer grade disks use the 3.3v provided, but it doesn't harm the disk.

That aside, I highly suggest returning the Insignia PSU for a brand-name PSU such as a CoolerMaster. Skip buying from Bestbuy as well, order from newegg.com

I'll keep this good advice in mind for the future. However I've got this Insignia installed and just want to be sure that I can start the computer up with that extra orange 3.3 volt wire on the SATA connector to my WD10EARX hard drive, as well as the disk drive. Or should I just cut the extra orange wire?

Just leave the orange wire.

However, agreed with the other two. You should get rid of that PSU and replace it with a quality unit. If you ever end up pushing that unit hard, it could possibly go out, and possibly take out other components with it.

Yeah, you can go ahead and use it with the orange wire, but we are warning you, the PSU brand is junk. It will NEVER deliver 400w worth of power, you will be LUCKY to get 300w out of it at best.

Back
Top Bottom