Charging A Tablet Without A Port

Xiroteus

Beta member
Currently have a Asus Vivotab Note 8 with a broken charging port. Normally I would just solder a new one on. However the connections on the PCB board are damaged and it is almost impossible to find and when I did it was at least $65 which is a bit much.

Did tons of research, cannot really find anything useful. I just need a way to bypass and charge the battery without it exploding.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Edit - First post? Ahh, the board must have been cleaned at home point since 2010.

Hi and Welcome!

I haven't got a clue, its a shame it doesn't come with wireless charging, my phone does which is a cool ft.

Only way is what you stated and buying new part, or maybe you can find a cheaper spares and repairs and open it up for the part.

When I damaged my smartphone screen it was cheaper to buy the same phone which was broken but with the parts I needed than buying the parts alone!

Last edited:
Hi and Welcome!

I haven't got a clue, its a shame it doesn't come with wireless charging, my phone does which is a cool ft.

Only way is what you stated and buying new part, or maybe you can find a cheaper spares and repairs and open it up for the part.

When I damaged my smartphone screen it was cheaper to buy the same phone which was broken but with the parts I needed than buying the parts alone!

Originally I was just going to solder a new port to the PCB board however the connectors are too damaged so that is a no go. I thought, maybe I can just find a as is tablet that is even smashed for really cheap as long as that part is good. Nope, not common enough. Wireles charging would be amazing!

I can get a new Windows tablet for about a hundred new, however it does not have wacom. The battery has a six wire lead motherboard plug in and nothing on if there is a way to charge it outside of the tablet. $65 for the part is a bit TOO much. $20 and I would buy it in a second.

I may end up just buying the new tablet and hold on to this until I can figure it out or run into an as is tablet.

I can get a new Windows tablet for about a hundred new, however it does not have wacom. The battery has a six wire lead motherboard plug in and nothing on if there is a way to charge it outside of the tablet. $65 for the part is a bit TOO much. $20 and I would buy it in a second.

I may end up just buying the new tablet and hold on to this until I can figure it out or run into an as is tablet.

I suggest you go ahead and do that, if you wait for an as is to appear on ebay or amazon for for 100.00 or below.
You may as well forget it, it'll be a year before that item prices drop dramatically.
People buy it like its going out of style, you can buy this.
New HP Stream 7 Tablet 32 GB Windows 8 1 Signature Edition Office 365 Personal | eBay

It has a 20% price drop from microsoft, if you need wacom or pen just buy your own or use the one you have,

I suggest you go ahead and do that, if you wait for an as is to appear on ebay or amazon for for 100.00 or below.
You may as well forget it, it'll be a year before that item prices drop dramatically.
People buy it like its going out of style, you can buy this.
New HP Stream 7 Tablet 32 GB Windows 8 1 Signature Edition Office 365 Personal | eBay

It has a 20% price drop from microsoft, if you need wacom or pen just buy your own or use the one you have,

The biggest weakness is that it will not have wacom pressure sensitivity which was a huge selling point. Maybe later as there is just no cheap way to fix or even charge it.

When you say the connections to the PCB are damaged...what do you mean?

Do you mean the traces are damaged? If the connections for the port are damaged..that shouldn't matter as long as the PCB/traces are fine, since then you'd be able to just desolder the old connector and solder a new one on.

If you had a variable power supply (or heck, even an old cable you could cannibalize), you could connect the wires directly to the appropriate traces to make a charge-only cable somehow.

When you say the connections to the PCB are damaged...what do you mean?

Do you mean the traces are damaged? If the connections for the port are damaged..that shouldn't matter as long as the PCB/traces are fine, since then you'd be able to just desolder the old connector and solder a new one on.

If you had a variable power supply (or heck, even an old cable you could cannibalize), you could connect the wires directly to the appropriate traces to make a charge-only cable somehow.

The pcb board traces are damaged so when I solder anything on to it there is no connection. I even cannibalized a micro usb cable to solder it directly.

Back
Top Bottom