If you can work this out, you'll be my new best friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scandalous

Solid State Member
I have a 52GB hard drive sitting in my computer at home. I don't know what make it is, JUST the size, so apologies for that. Anyway. It's been running XP Pro for at least a year, maybe eighteen months.

About two weeks ago, I rebooted the computer and XP refused to load ever again. The OS was corrupted. I figured, fine, no problem. Reformatted the partition of the drive that was causing the problem, reinstalled XP Pro and it worked fine. For two days. Then it corrupted itself again. So in the end, the drive was FDisked, reformatted, XP Pro setup files were put on it again, blah blah blah, but it REFUSED to go through the setup process, every time it came down to it, it refused to acknowledge the setup files on the hard drive and always asked for a boot disk. This isn't to say that the setup files weren't there, because every time I went through the reformat process again, XP always found them and complained that they were there.

The hard drive was checked for problems multiple times, scans found NOTHING (and no, I don't remember what scans were run either, I just know that they were pretty damn thorough) and it's not that XP disk either, because it reinstalled XP on my sister's computer just fine.

Any suggestions as to what was going on?

I should really also add that it's not any of the hardware either, because it's quite happily running Linux Ubuntu, no problems whatsoever.

Scandalous,

Use windowx XP CD to run a full scan disk and fix errors. What about the hard disk? does it make any noise? . And linux runs in the same HDD or a different one?

Scandalous said:
I have a 52GB hard drive sitting in my computer at home. I don't know what make it is, JUST the size, so apologies for that. Anyway. It's been running XP Pro for at least a year, maybe eighteen months.

About two weeks ago, I rebooted the computer and XP refused to load ever again. The OS was corrupted. I figured, fine, no problem. Reformatted the partition of the drive that was causing the problem, reinstalled XP Pro and it worked fine. For two days. Then it corrupted itself again. So in the end, the drive was FDisked, reformatted, XP Pro setup files were put on it again, blah blah blah, but it REFUSED to go through the setup process, every time it came down to it, it refused to acknowledge the setup files on the hard drive and always asked for a boot disk. This isn't to say that the setup files weren't there, because every time I went through the reformat process again, XP always found them and complained that they were there.

The hard drive was checked for problems multiple times, scans found NOTHING (and no, I don't remember what scans were run either, I just know that they were pretty damn thorough) and it's not that XP disk either, because it reinstalled XP on my sister's computer just fine.

Any suggestions as to what was going on?

you got the "microsoft lock" on your computer for having a bootleg copy.

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=245704#post245704

you need 3rd party software to delete that hard drive. then get a legit copy of xp. because this problem will reoccur when you visit microsoft's website or try to download microsoft's drivers like wma audio or directx.

In that case, what caused it to go wrong in the first place? And I think you misunderstood me...it installed XP on my sister's computer AFTER we had the problem with mine.

Linux runs on the same hard drive as XP was running on.The scans etc were run off the XP disk (had to check with the mate of mine there that did it).

its ur memory, i had exact same problem, put another stick ina dn make sure it works!!!!

have u got the Linux installed on Linux file system or FAT32/NTFS?

run fdisk from command prompt and delete the non-dos partitions.

again make partitions and try re-installing. see if it works OK.

Scandalous said:
In that case, what caused it to go wrong in the first place? And I think you misunderstood me...it installed XP on my sister's computer AFTER we had the problem with mine.

Linux runs on the same hard drive as XP was running on.The scans etc were run off the XP disk (had to check with the mate of mine there that did it).

Trust me on this

if you go to your sister computer and download something from microsoft windows update website, she will eventually have the same problem as you (don't do it, though)

now, if you install the cd to a new computer, and disable automatic update, properly configure a firewall, and never go to microsoft window update or download a product of their's that is require it to access the internet
to finish downloading the rest of it such as directx9 (you can install directx9 that is on a game cd though or go to a website that has the full download of it already that isn't microsoft website, then I still would install it with the internet disconnected just to be sure), you will not have any problem with xp working.

that is too much trouble, though. these day, you better off buying the cd since the price has drop to $100.00 so you can have full access to everything

that is also why your linux work. it's not microsoft

that's just like roxio, they will install a roxio assistant in your registry when you download an update to their easy cd creator software to see if you have a legitimate copy of their software.
if you don't, you won't be able to burn cds

however if you have a program like spybot (tea timer enabled) or adwatch you don't have to accept the registry change to enable it, or you can disconnect your internet while installing the update, then when you computer reboots, type run, msconfig uncheck that roxio assistant option, reboot, then it can't tell and the software will work

the only reason I know all of this

"I heard it through the grapevine"

I would shell out the money, but our XP current cd was copied off a cd that we bought legally. We copy EVERY cd we get in here, our cds tend to walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom