[Desktop] Load grinding noise on cold boot

shahar

Solid State Member
Hello ,
For about a year now my computer makes a load grinding noise
on cold boots.Not just that, the temperature in the room effects
the duration of the problem.
The noise stops when Windows is up (or backwards).
The computer is running perfectly well and boot time is quite normal ,the
OS doesn't crash and I never experienced a BSOD on this PC.
The computer isn't old (1.5 years) and is running Windows 7.
I have no idea where the noise come from and what it means.

Well, it could be your CD drive, some those spin up and stay spun up during boot. Could also be a fan with a bad bearing, too much dust, or it's just spinning up high for a long time period for some reason. Could also be the hard drive failing.

Two month ago I sent the computer to the store for cleaning, first time it booted was fine.
Second time, the grinding noise was back.
So it might be dust.
Also my PC is about 4 cm from the wall , can this be the
Problem?

And is there any way I can check if its the hard drive? Its really concerns me.

... Could also be the hard drive failing.

I thought that at first too, but OP said this had been going on for a year or so. Don't think a hard drive can be in the 'failing' stage for a year without causing at least intermittent issues, and since a cleaning didn't do it, I'd put my money on a non-essential hardware failure, since you can still use the PC without issue (aside from the annoying sound).

Try unplugging the CD drive from the power supply and booting it up. See if you still hear the sound.

Last edited:
Easiest thing to do would be to put your ear up to each component that has physical moving parts and listen to see where the grinding is coming from.

Easiest thing to do would be to put your ear up to each component that has physical moving parts and listen to see where the grinding is coming from.
Its sounds like the grinding sound comes from the fan on the back of the case.
Also used my decibelmeter app that says the same.

Its sounds like the grinding sound comes from the fan on the back of the case.
Also used my decibelmeter app that says the same.

Open up your tower while its making the noise and use some sort of plastic stick and lightly push against the fan mount or the middle of the fan spinning to see is it alters the noise, thats what I done in the past and found my fan mounting was slightly off.

The problem is worst now. Its defently the back case fan.
I think replacing the fan will be best.

Back
Top Bottom