Setup for work laptop

cyclones

In Runtime
Hey all.. So i'm trying to figure out how I can setup my laptop to work with my 3 Dell S2715h monitors. I have a Latitude E7240 laptop and also have the Dell docking station that came with it. I'm trying to figure out how to get it set up so that I could go from my desktop and then switch to the laptop using all 3 monitors when it's docked. Would I need to get an HDMI splitter? All three monitors are currently hooked up via HDMI. Your input would help! Thanks

Laptops can only support 2 monitors, the internal and one external. Even with a splitter it will only duplicate the same image on both external monitors, you will need to use separate output cables e.g VGA, HDMI, DVI.

One thing that would work is using a USB video adaptor for a third monitor.

Last edited:
Laptops can only support 2 monitors, the internal and one external.

^^ Not entirely true.
I've seen laptops with any of the following multi-display configs:
1 internal, 1 external
2 external, internal disabled
2 external, 1 internal
3 external, internal disabled
3 external, 1 internal

Hey all.. So i'm trying to figure out how I can setup my laptop to work with my 3 Dell S2715h monitors. I have a Latitude E7240 laptop and also have the Dell docking station that came with it. I'm trying to figure out how to get it set up so that I could go from my desktop and then switch to the laptop using all 3 monitors when it's docked. Would I need to get an HDMI splitter? All three monitors are currently hooked up via HDMI. Your input would help! Thanks

As for your Dell... See here: Latitude E7240 - Dual External Displays Without Dock? - Laptop General Hardware - Laptop - Dell Community

Ok, but MOST cannot.. unless you have a good video card inside.

Pretty much all laptops (unless very low end) that have multiple video outputs...can take advantage of all of them.
i.e.
HDMI out / VGA out
Will usually give you one of these options (depending on the GPU):
2 external 1 internal

The Dell that OP has, has integrated Intel 4400 graphics, and supports 3 displays without a dock.

Pretty much all laptops (unless very low end) that have multiple video outputs...can take advantage of all of them.
i.e.
HDMI out / VGA out
Will usually give you one of these options (depending on the GPU):
2 external 1 internal

The Dell that OP has, has integrated Intel 4400 graphics, and supports 3 displays without a dock.

Yes Sorry, I dont know what I am thinking today.. lol, I meant to say most cannot support 3 all this time! lol I was being blind.. so to correct myself on this thread "most laptops can not support 3 monitors" :cool::cool::cool: and one thing that would work is using a USB video adaptor for a third monitor (as I mentioned in my first post)

Last edited:
Well I know for sure that the Latitude laptop can handle at least two monitors because the docking station has 2 display port out and has a VGA out, and I use two when I am at work. Would there be anyway to get it to run with two monitors using HDMI? I would need some kind of splitter or something.

Well I know for sure that the Latitude laptop can handle at least two monitors because the docking station has 2 display port out and has a VGA out, and I use two when I am at work. Would there be anyway to get it to run with two monitors using HDMI? I would need some kind of splitter or something.

you need to buy a USB video card adaptor like this one, StarTech.com USB to DVI External Video Card Multi Monitor Adapter – 1920x1200 (USB2DVIE3) - dabs.com
but find a USB to HDMI

Last edited:

Just get a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter. No need for a splitter.

Back
Top Bottom