HDD mechanical problem ?

flytebass

Beta member
Hi guys, I'm trying to retrieve files from my old hard drive, the old desktop had issues but the hard drive booted up and seemed ok. Anyhow, I bought a new desktop PC and an external HDD housing to connect through USB, connected everything up and ......nothing ! the drive wasnt recognised, no sign of it in disk management either. I noticed the HDD was very quiet but you could hear the disk spinning.

Decided to look inside to see if the actuator was stuck and it kinda was, but not stuck on the disk, it was held on the inside edge of the disk by a little plastic arm which looks like a locking device, this arm is on the outer edge of the actuator under the actuator housing. I unlocked it and moved the actuator to the outside of the disk and powered it up, but it went straight back to the locked position.

Is this some mechanical issue ? any suggestions ?

Not sure if details will help but here goes........ Old drive is Seagate Barracuda 250 Gbytes SATA with Windows Vista instaled.

New PC is HP Pavilion with Windows 8.1

External drive housing is a simple USB/SATA interface with its own power supply.

I would be very grateful for any help

Decided to look inside to see if the actuator was stuck and it kinda was, but not stuck on the disk, it was held on the inside edge of the disk by a little plastic arm which looks like a locking device,

You opened it up?
That's very bad juju

What can I say.......I'm a rebel, I once went for a walk in the rain without a coat !

Glad to hear your a rebel, The moment you open the drive AND moved the arm, you should of forgotten about writing a thread in the first place! whats the point.. you most certainly destroyed the HD...
:cool:

1 use now, a mirror :)

Last edited:
LOL, i didnt know that!! I think i will open up a "already" broken HD... I wouldnt be silly enough to open up a working HD :cool:
Be careful with those magnets because they are very strong and if you pinch part of your finger between them, it'll really hurt

Back
Top Bottom