RAID 5 Recovery

LiquidoDK

Beta member
Hi,

I hope someone will be able to help me.

I have a RAID 5 configuration and a few days ago, disk 3 showed as being in an error state. Nothing is physically wrong with the disk, so I put it back in and restarted the system, hoping that I could reinitialize disk in the RAID, but when the system startet up again, disk 1 was no where to be found and the disk was making noises, so it seems to be dead. This however means, that I cannot reinitialize disk 3, as only 2 of 4 members are present in the RAID configuration.

Can I somehow recover my data or is all lost? Will I be able to get disk 3 back in the configuration, so I can retreive my data?
I have tried with ReclaiMe RAID Recovery, as it can recover the RAID with one member missing, but it tells me that it's not a RAID 5 configuration :(

Does anyone have any good ideas?

Hi,

I hope someone will be able to help me.

I have a RAID 5 configuration and a few days ago, disk 3 showed as being in an error state. Nothing is physically wrong with the disk, so I put it back in and restarted the system, hoping that I could reinitialize disk in the RAID, but when the system startet up again, disk 1 was no where to be found and the disk was making noises, so it seems to be dead. This however means, that I cannot reinitialize disk 3, as only 2 of 4 members are present in the RAID configuration.

Can I somehow recover my data or is all lost? Will I be able to get disk 3 back in the configuration, so I can retreive my data?
I have tried with ReclaiMe RAID Recovery, as it can recover the RAID with one member missing, but it tells me that it's not a RAID 5 configuration :(

Does anyone have any good ideas?

I wouldnt think there is anyway to fix this, but I have never been in this position. I will do some research and see what comes up

That's what I'm afraid of. I hope you find something and thanks for researching :)

Cant really find any useful advice..

Are you using a NAS?
What happens when you just put back in HD3?
Only other solution is restoring from back-up on a new RAID 5 otherwise you've lost all your data.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm using a NAS. If I put it back, it still shows the error.
I have connected them to my PC and all disks are working, except number 1.
I was hoping that some kind of software could read the data so I could extract it, but it seems that all is lost :(

My knowledge on RAID isn't that great, so could you tell me why should I choose RAID 10 over RAID 5?

Yes, I'm using a NAS. If I put it back, it still shows the error.
I have connected them to my PC and all disks are working, except number 1.
I was hoping that some kind of software could read the data so I could extract it, but it seems that all is lost :(

My knowledge on RAID isn't that great, so could you tell me why should I choose RAID 10 over RAID 5?

Yeah RAID 5 is striped so you need to read the file from all but 1 drive, I read up that outdated NAS firmware can give false readings however when people update the firmware the issue goes away HOWEVER you still need to rebuild, in your case you've lost 2 so this wont work.

Check your firmware if it fixes the false error, atleast you solve one issue.

I'm already running the lates firmware, however it's from 2012, but if my NAS is the problem, then I should be able to mount the drives on a UNIX machine and read the data, as 3 out of 4 drives are working, maybe I should try that. Then I will also know if I have a problem with the controller in the NAS.

I'm already running the lates firmware, however it's from 2012, but if my NAS is the problem, then I should be able to mount the drives on a UNIX machine and read the data, as 3 out of 4 drives are working, maybe I should try that. Then I will also know if I have a problem with the controller in the NAS.

Yeah, Id give that a try, thats the only thing I found, that would cause the false error.

Back
Top Bottom