Unresponsive Windows Explorer

KrimsonXG

Solid State Member
Hi, so I've run into a problem that I can't seem to figure out. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and when I start up my computer, everything runs normally but after a few minutes the Windows Explorer just stops responding. After a few minutes of not responding it blue screens and attempts a restart. I've run a few antiviruses and cleaners finding small things, all which didn't help in this problem. I can however run safe mode indefinitely with no problems of any kind. The strangest thing though is that most external programs like Teamspeak and Spotify are still functioning properly and not looping audio or sounds while everything else isn't responding.

I've already tried running the system restore to a backup a few days ago but it said it couldn't restore properly. I've also tried to use the system repair, which didn't work either. So now i'm just at a loss and don't know what the issue is. If anyone could help, that would be great.

Go to C:\Windows\Minidump and upload the dump files from your BSOD's. Put them in a zip and attach them to your post or upload them to a filesharing site (DropBox, One Drive, etc.). That way I can analyze the crash dumps and see what's causing your issues if there's a pattern to them.

Go to C:\Windows\Minidump and upload the dump files from your BSOD's. Put them in a zip and attach them to your post or upload them to a filesharing site (DropBox, One Drive, etc.). That way I can analyze the crash dumps and see what's causing your issues if there's a pattern to them.

My minidumps folder is actually empty. But I have an update now after running a few more virus and system checks. My computer no longer seems to crash to a blue screen, but the explorer.exe crashes and doesn't restart. I left my computer alone and watched the program "System Explorer" log at what was starting and being terminated. I noticed several blank programs creating new events followed by errors and warnings in the log. Eventually I got two error popups on my computer, something about LINKINFO.dll and an error with mbam.exe.

I'm getting the feeling I may need to reinstall my windows 7.

If you haven't already, download and run a full scan with Malwarebytes Antimalware.

Download and run a scan with AdwCleaner from here: AdwCleaner Download
Clean whatever it finds and post the log here.

After that, download and run HiJackThis from here: HiJackThis | SourceForge.net
Post the log here when done. Don't remove anything unless told to do.

Also, run a System File Checker. Open up command prompt as Admin, and run the following:
sfc /scannow

If you haven't already, download and run a full scan with Malwarebytes Antimalware.

Download and run a scan with AdwCleaner from here: AdwCleaner Download
Clean whatever it finds and post the log here.

After that, download and run HiJackThis from here: HiJackThis | SourceForge.net
Post the log here when done. Don't remove anything unless told to do.

Also, run a System File Checker. Open up command prompt as Admin, and run the following:
sfc /scannow

Here are the findings from the above mentioned programs. I've already ran Malware Bytes prior to my last post and nothing showed up again.

Attachments

• Findings.zip
    23 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Logs look good - looks like AdwCleaner cleaned up a lot of stuff on your system, that's for sure...

Run another scan, as well as an MBAM scan again and make sure nothing else pops up in it.

Have you ran the System file check yet?

Logs look good - looks like AdwCleaner cleaned up a lot of stuff on your system, that's for sure...

Run another scan, as well as an MBAM scan again and make sure nothing else pops up in it.

Have you ran the System file check yet?

Yea. It completed about 46% of the verification before finding corrupt files. It said that the "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them." Then gave me a CBS log which I will attach.

Attachments

• CBS.zip
    37.1 KB · Views: 1
You'll need to get a Windows 7 disc so that it can repair the corrupt files, most likely.

Looks like it did repair quite a bit of stuff though, according to the log.

I'd run a chkdsk first, and then run another System File check. To do so:

Start -> type 'cmd' (without quotes) -> right click -> run as admin -> in the console window that pops up type:
chkdsk C: /f /r
Press Enter and it will say it cannot lock the current drive and to run on next reboot. Type Y and hit Enter -> Reboot your computer and let it run through the check (it may take some time, depending on how big your HDD is).

You'll need to get a Windows 7 disc so that it can repair the corrupt files, most likely.

Looks like it did repair quite a bit of stuff though, according to the log.

I'd run a chkdsk first, and then run another System File check. To do so:

Start -> type 'cmd' (without quotes) -> right click -> run as admin -> in the console window that pops up type:
chkdsk C: /f /r
Press Enter and it will say it cannot lock the current drive and to run on next reboot. Type Y and hit Enter -> Reboot your computer and let it run through the check (it may take some time, depending on how big your HDD is).

I've run the CHKDSK and got the same response both times. It says that the file type is NTFS and that the volume is clean. It then runs windows normally.

Try:
chkdsk /B

instead - this will re-evaluate all bad clusters on the drive as well as do the checks that the /r switch performs.

After that, try another SFC.

Is explorer still acting up for you after these steps so far?

Back
Top Bottom