Random stuff. Gtx 970 fun too

just to show i'm not crazy. this is 2560x1440 over 3500 mb video memory usage. it usually stays here unless i drop the view distance but with my framerate i feel i shouldn't have to. and yes there is noticeable micro stutter however i still can't compare it to 980's as i've never used them. well that attachment sucks so here's a link. Imgur

EDIT it actually doesn't seem to go down if I turn down view distance. Just my fps gets a little boost

Attachments

• 2015-02-11_00002.jpg
    2015-02-11_00002.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
This was my before. Had to close out of Chrome and my TV show because it was at 950MB before :lol:
DSC_0171.jpg~original

During Dying Light.
DSC_0172.jpg~original

Res.
DSC_0173.jpg~original

to be fair I think more of the issue the 970's is having is due to the crippled bandwidth not the actual 3.5gb vram as the 192 bit interface on that memory buffer doesn't allow much in terms of actual available bandwidth. Comparing this to my 780ti that I never had issues with at 3gb 384mbit bus vs people with 970's with 3.5gb and the 192 mbit bus. In the split second the vram actually needs to dump textures to load new ones that memory is much slower making the stutter more evident. Combine that with sli micro stutter and its even more evident. DX12 should clear a lot of issues up for sli 970 users as DX12 will combine the available memory in multi card setups meaning once DX12 hits and games with dx12 become available said games will have 7gb of available memory :D

Depends on the game in question, it's plenty enough. I don't get stuttering in any kind with a single 980 running 1080p. Any stutter I notice comes completely out of SLI when I enable it. I still have my friend's 970 in my room. Anything I played with it was pretty butter smooth at 1080p. People tend to forget these cards were made to be 1080p beasts. OP is running 1440p and I can understand where there might be issues, which is exactly why I got a second 980 to push that res. I just ignore the micro-stutter.

Depends on the game in question, it's plenty enough. I don't get stuttering in any kind with a single 980 running 1080p. Any stutter I notice comes completely out of SLI when I enable it. I still have my friend's 970 in my room. Anything I played with it was pretty butter smooth at 1080p. People tend to forget these cards were made to be 1080p beasts. OP is running 1440p and I can understand where there might be issues, which is exactly why I got a second 980 to push that res. I just ignore the micro-stutter.
To say the gtx 970 is made for 1080 is a bold statement. Considering its only 10 -15% short of a gtx 980 in most cases (aka the most powerful single GPU on the market) it's on par with my old 780ti in some games (the former most powerful single GPU on the market)

It is. GM204 is a midrange chip, which includes the GTX 970 and GTX 980. Lower bus width and no high VRAM card variants from AIBs targets them to the mainstream crowd which is dominated by 1080p. When we get into the performance of them single card status, they are great for 1080p and only good for 1440p. I personally would not be able to do a single 980 on 1440p but for 1080p it was perfectly capable.

Take the GTX 680 for example. It walked all over the 580, and was top dog for over a year. It was still the midrange chip in the line. 1440p is pretty much a niche resolution and the next mainstream will either be 4k or 5k. Probably '3k' by the way things are looking. So that being said, all of these cards are 1080p monsters because they aren't powerful enough for the next mainstream resolution. Cue the beginning of that, GM200 and 390x.

Back
Top Bottom