cyclic redundancy errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohGrFreak

ID.10T
This problem happens on all of my computers, all running XP Home with either CD or DVD/CD burners.

I burn data video and/or data audio to store and backup to disc all the time using Nero, I always use the "verify data after burning" option and it always checks successfully. Most, say 75% of the discs fail when trying to move data back onto a harddrive. I tried both "send to" and "copy to" options, neither work. I use and this happens with both CD-R and DVD-/+R discs on three different burners, a Plextor CD-R, a MadDog (NEC), and of course my crappy Optorite.

Here's a snap of the error and what I'm trying to accomplish:

cyclicredundancy3ry.png

What the heck is cyclic redundancy and how do i get around it?

The cyclic redundancy check is a special algorithm for checking data on CD, HDD and other (I guess it uses not only for Disks but also for net or IP telephony). I don't know, but I think Nero don't use this algorithm (see help to check it) but WinXp uses it. It means your data has error. If you want to restore your data you can use an utility from http://www.jufsoft.com/

I think your data which you want to copy has already some errors. You can try to check it before you do a copy on CD-R or DVD.

ohGrFreak,

I think you already had some problem with writing stuff...

Btw, i guess, the contents are not written correctly to the disc. Uninstall nero completely and try some other burning software.

TheMajor said:
I would get some different brand of CD's.

the errors are on various brands of media, maxell, sony, imation, etc... i think i have used every brand media walmart has in stock.

now, since nero is the poop, what burning software should i use? i have a full working demo of alcohol 120%, does anyone know how this program checks for errors, if it uses the same system that windows does?

thanks,
matthew

ohGrFreak,

Why do you want to check for errors anyz? :rolleyes: I ve burned some 1000 cd's and never checked for any errors :p . Hmm, i never worked with anyother burning programs than Nero and Alcohol 120% .

intercodes said:
ohGrFreak,

Why do you want to check for errors anyz? :rolleyes: I ve burned some 1000 cd's and never checked for any errors :p . Hmm, i never worked with anyother burning programs than Nero and Alcohol 120% .

i check for errors because i hope that i may catch some of these errors before i go to look at my backups and have the errors. and i use nero all the time, all three computers have nero with all the updates. i'll start using alcohol more often i guess.

ohGrFreak,
Of course this problem may has different reason - Nero or CD-RW (DVD) devices or CD's, but I recommend you check your files by algorithm CRC before you write it. I've had a study-work in my University about CRC and I know something about it. It's really good algorithm and many devices and programms use it.
You can read more about this algorithm in net - use CRC as word for search. There are many programs which check CRC and some of them can repair files with errors.
For example you can use it: http://www.lightlink.com/ym/chkfiles.htm.
In fact, your files can have the errors and you can use this files, especially if it's a movie or music, but when Win checks CRC - it finds the errors and stops the copy.
I also guess the Nero check your copy with original data by another checking algorithm (may be bit to bit) and don't check CRC, but I don't know about it, I think the better to read it in Nero's manual.

ahhh, that's kewl. CRC huh, I'll be checking that out.

so, let me get this straight, even though on my harddrive the files can be playable and seem to have nothing wrong with them, once I burn them to CD/DVD and then retry to move them back onto my harddrive, the OS (XP Home) picks up on these errors and won't let me copy them? why don't the errors pop up when they arrive on the computer in the first place, or does windows just not check downloads and the like?

thank you, that is some very good info for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom