Random stuff. Gtx 970 fun too

x51noob

In Runtime
So I'm wondering if my fan layout is acceptable. I have 3 nf-f12 fans in front of my h440 pulling air in. I have two of the same fans in pull on my h100i and I have a corsair AF 140 for exhaust. My GPU 1 reaches 80 sometimes I until I pop the front cover off my case defeating the purpose of a "silent" design.

Also I have two 970's in sli and I'm getting well over the 3.5 gbs in shadow of mordor and dying light. It's my first sli system and I thought the stutter just came with the territory until I read about the memory issues and saw people with different cards were having a much better experience than me. Not sure what to do here. But it's pretty damn annoying sometimes. Thinking about trading the cards out but not sure what to yet. Two 980's is just not in the budget.

As to the fan situation, the F12 is more of a radiator/heatsink type of fan as it's used primarily for static pressure applications. That being said, 80c on your top GPU is perfectly fine and right where it's supposed to be.

To the VRAM thing, it's not limited to certain boards. The way the chip is made is on every single 970 out there. Despite common belief you shouldn't notice it at all in games. Micro-stutter comes with any multi-GPU setup. I get it on 980s as well.

I never notice it as bad as when the vram usage gets up to 3.7-3.9 I just started monitoring it when I heard all this. But at the same time when it gets that high both GPU are running 90%+ load so idk. I'd love to try out a 980sli system to compare lol. Pcper did a good article on 970 vs 980 sli. But they claim you have to run 4k at 120% scaling to get over the 3.5 limit which is nonsense.

It's not complete nonsense. I've been posting on a Youtube video in a discussion about basically the same thing and one guy saying he's running 970 SLI and hitting 3.5GB in Dying Light for 1080p and I called his BS because at 1440p I cap at 3.2GB in Dying Light with 980 SLI. It varies between each game greatly and how it handles texture information. If you're running the high res texture pack in SoM then just turn it off. To me it made absolutely no difference visually. In Dying Light you shouldn't be hitting 3.5 unless you're running 4k. If you're running 4k, you should have re-evaluated the SLI 970 purchase.

I am also in complete believement that if nobody said anything we wouldn't have so many "issues" with 970s cropping up. The machine I built for my friend showed no such issues in games I know I can purposely cap VRAM in. I think people just see 3.5GB usage and go oh, I'm having issues. I compared visually the difference between 980 and 970 on the same machine and saw absolutely 0 issues in said games I capped VRAM in. Initial reviews also didn't mention anything of the matter. I'm not saying you're full of **** or anything, I'm just saying it's something to think about. Nobody else here is complaining about 970 performance either.

Well I'm running 1440p regular and ultra wide. It's funny cause I seem to get more stutter on my 1440p gsync but maybe cause the refresh rate is higher than my ultra wide so there's more of a visual range. Dying light usually at 3400 mb but goes all the way to 3600 on occasion and som usually 3800 or higher. I don't have my pitchfork and class action suit like some of the people I see but still. Oh far cry 4 is great example I'll test my vram usage later but that game remains completely unplayable for me with the insaine stutter while most people say it works fine for them now.

I haven't brought up FC4 yet since I got my setup, but it didn't use over 3GB for me on my 680. I admittedly didn't go very far into the game either.

Testing for this anomaly with varying monitors and refresh rates isn't very smart. With Gsync on and set to 144Hz everything for me is butter smooth except SLI micro-stutter.

Off topic. Do u have the swift and do you have any issues with it going "out of range" when you change GPU clock speeds on the fly?

Off topic. Do u have the swift and do you have any issues with it going "out of range" when you change GPU clock speeds on the fly?
Yes I have a Swift, and no I do not. Only time anything happens is when I turn Kboost on for benches and it flips the **** out by flickering the backlight fast until the image comes back up in Windows. I have all "extra" features of the monitor off.

Yea that's what mine does with the flickerinh but sometimes the image doesnt come back up. I reinstall Nvidia drivers on a separate monitor to get it working again.

Back
Top Bottom