Question Regarding CPU and GPU temperatures

Zethremar

Beta member
Hello,

I currently own a MSI GS60 Notebook with an i7 Processor and GTX 860M Graphics Card. I'm not really tech savy but wanted to get some clarity on what are safe temperatures for my laptop while gaming.

A bit of information, I only play World of Warcraft, and I play it pretty heavily on the weekends I can play for about 6-8 hours a day and sometimes play upwards of 4 hours without a session. I've been keeping track of my laptops temperatures, and they seem to sit at around 65-78 c.

My question is, is this a safe and acceptable temperature for my laptop? I use the balanced power scheme and also have it hooked up to a Zalman notebook cooler, I also try not to have too many application open when I play wow and keep to the necessary application as well as WoW and Ventrillo.

Thanks.

Hello,

I currently own a MSI GS60 Notebook with an i7 Processor and GTX 860M Graphics Card. I'm not really tech savy but wanted to get some clarity on what are safe temperatures for my laptop while gaming.

A bit of information, I only play World of Warcraft, and I play it pretty heavily on the weekends I can play for about 6-8 hours a day and sometimes play upwards of 4 hours without a session. I've been keeping track of my laptops temperatures, and they seem to sit at around 65-78 c.

My question is, is this a safe and acceptable temperature for my laptop? I use the balanced power scheme and also have it hooked up to a Zalman notebook cooler, I also try not to have too many application open when I play wow and keep to the necessary application as well as WoW and Ventrillo.

Thanks.

I would say 78c is at a point where you need to start cooling it down, if it is hot where you are then that could play a part in it, but going over 80 is getting bad... not sure what others think..

Right on with i2D__

What model i7 is in your notebook ? Do you know the temperatures at idle? You can find out by sitting the laptop in a room with medium temperature then boot up and without running any other programs watch the temperature readings for 30 minutes or so.

Nah..those temps are fine. Laptops are meant to run hotter.

My GT70 sits at around the same temps while gaming with the fan set to auto.

If those temps are while you're not gaming though...then there's a bit more of an issue. But for temps while gaming...nothing you need to worry about.

Nah..those temps are fine. Laptops are meant to run hotter.

My GT70 sits at around the same temps while gaming with the fan set to auto.

If those temps are while you're not gaming though...then there's a bit more of an issue. But for temps while gaming...nothing you need to worry about.

Of course the temps will go very high while gaming but doesn't mean its ok, heat wears components ofc as we all know, i'd buy a extension fan to cool it even more if you are using it as a gaming laptop.

Of course the temps will go very high while gaming but doesn't mean its ok, heat wears components ofc as we all know, i'd buy a extension fan to cool it even more if you are using it as a gaming laptop.

Like I said, laptop components are built to withstand more heat, especially gaming ones.

Even then, CPU's thermal limits are closer to 90-100*C, and GPU's are over 100*C.

75*C is just fine, 80* is fine for a GPU - getting a bit warm for CPU. OP never mentioned what the temps were specific for.

Just need to make sure to keep the vents clean - and if it's getting too warm, repasting the CPU/GPU is generally recommended. It can drop temps 5-10*C if you use good paste.

Owned 3 gaming laptops so far - all have run about the same. First 1 (an Asus G73jh) ran quite hot and needed elevate it and put a desk fan blowing air under it if I was playing a really intense game. Next one (MSI GT780DX) ran cooler, but required me to turn the "turbo" fan mode on to keep it at a manageable temp (75-80*C for GPU, CPU was around 65-70*C while gaming at least). Current one (GT70 2oc, in sig), is a bit cooler than the GT780DX and the auto-fan control works much better at managing the temps. Runs 75-80*C for GPU while gaming - CPU is around 65-70*C I believe.

So, again, the temps are pretty well within acceptable range if that's during gaming. Blowing out the vents and repasting could help drop temps somewhat, as well as using a cooling pad - doesn't look like the GS60 has the "CoolerBooster" fan control that the GT70 series does like I have.

Like I said, laptop components are built to withstand more heat, especially gaming ones.

Even then, CPU's thermal limits are closer to 90-100*C, and GPU's are over 100*C.

75*C is just fine, 80* is fine for a GPU - getting a bit warm for CPU. OP never mentioned what the temps were specific for.

Just need to make sure to keep the vents clean - and if it's getting too warm, repasting the CPU/GPU is generally recommended. It can drop temps 5-10*C if you use good paste.

Owned 3 gaming laptops so far - all have run about the same. First 1 (an Asus G73jh) ran quite hot and needed elevate it and put a desk fan blowing air under it if I was playing a really intense game. Next one (MSI GT780DX) ran cooler, but required me to turn the "turbo" fan mode on to keep it at a manageable temp (75-80*C for GPU, CPU was around 65-70*C while gaming at least). Current one (GT70 2oc, in sig), is a bit cooler than the GT780DX and the auto-fan control works much better at managing the temps. Runs 75-80*C for GPU while gaming - CPU is around 65-70*C I believe.

So, again, the temps are pretty well within acceptable range if that's during gaming. Blowing out the vents and repasting could help drop temps somewhat, as well as using a cooling pad - doesn't look like the GS60 has the "CoolerBooster" fan control that the GT70 series does like I have.

Ok so based on Carnages XP, to answer the OP - Dont worry temps are fine :cool::cool::cool:

To expand, IMO it'd be an issue if you're having performance issues due to the heat - stuttering, artifacting, etc.

Back
Top Bottom