Mobile AMD 2600+ Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerX

Baseband Member
Is it possible to stick a 2600 XP mobile processor in a 266 FSB Motherboard. I have a Gigibyte 7DXE board. Will it work?

That board has a maximum FSB of 266? That sucks =/ But yes a mobile chip will work in there because for one, that mobile chip I believe has an FSB of 266 anyway so you really wouldn't have to worry either way, but if I'm mistaken and it's actually 333FSB, then it'd still work provided your motherboards BIOS has enough options in there that would allow for overclocking. You don't want to overclock, but you need some of the options that you use in overclocking such as the FSB otherwise known as the CPU Frequency sometimes in the BIOS and the multiplier. A stock 2600+ is like 133x15 = 2GHz that 133 is the CPU Frequency or FSB which when multiplied by 2 133x2 = 266 so that's how you get your FSB. It's due to the RAM being DDR which means DOUBLE data rate that you multiply that number by 2.

So if it's a 266FSB cpu then you have nothing to worry about. If it's a 333FSB CPU then you need to be able to adjust the FSB and the multiplier. So if it's 333FSB and your board only accepts 266FSB then you'd lower the CPU Frequency from 166 (166x2 = 333) down to 133 but then you'd raise up the multiplier so that you could still have the same clockspeed of 2GHz or whatever it's stock is.

Adjusting the CPU FSB also generally requires being able to adjust the AGP and PCI frequencies. The AGP needs to be locked at 66MHz and that'll automatically lock the PCI at 33Mhz where it needs to be.

so the lower the multiplier the better performance? cuz the athlon 64 FX has like 1600FSB and 2.4/1.6 is like 1.5, so that is pretty low multiplier.

so the lower the multiplier the better performance? cuz the athlon 64 FX has like 1600FSB and 2.4/1.6 is like 1.5, so that is pretty low multiplier.
??? No lower multiplier doesn't mean better performance. Multiplier only determins how fast the processor is working. What I said is with the mobiles you can up your FSB and lower your multiplier so you could run it at 400FSB instead of it's stock 266. And AMD64 doesn't have a multiplier of 1.5, and I don't know what your division problem of 2.4/1.6 is supposed to be. You can't divide the FSB by the total clock speed to get the multiplier. The FSB is created from the CPU Frequency and whatever it's set at. The CPU Frequency on those chips are at 200, but unlike the XP's that have an Frequency of 200, the 64bit chips have something like Intels Hyperthreading that's almost like having more than one processor that creates a faster FSB between the system. I'm not fully educated on how the higher FSB boards work yet though so I can't honestly tell you fully how it works at the moment. The fastest 64bit board right now I think is 1000FSB. I think there is a 1600FSB Intel board, but at the moment I don't believe it's fully utilized and isn't worth the extra money or so I read in a toms hardware guide article.

Ah I found the 2600M does have a 266 FSB but I have a thought.....

I do have options to overclock and I have some kingston PC-2700 ram that's designed for 333 FSB. Maybe I could overclock this thing then??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom