My new PC specification

Status
Not open for further replies.

lge.com.au

Solid State Member
Hi everyone this is my first post at this forum. Anyway I am purchasing a new computer and I wanted to know from experts from this forum if I chose the right configuration.

Please provide me with some advice on this matter. Ciao...

Computer Package Specification

Case

Thermaltake Shark Full Tower Aluminum Case Series-Silver w/EMI Shield Honeycomb Side Panel
(Model Number: VA7000SWA)

Processor

Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz / 800

Motherboard

GA 8S655FX

Memory

1GB Textron DDR RAM

Hard Disk Drive

Seagate Barracuda 80GB 7200RPM Ultra ATA100

(Model Number:ST380011A)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Plus 200GB Ultra ATA/100 7200 RPM
(Model Number:ST3200822A)

Floppy Disk Drive

Samsung Floppy Disk Drive

DVD Rom

Lite-On 16x48 DVDROM/CDROM LTD-166BLK

DVD Writer

Pioneer DVR-108 16x Dual Format (+/-), 4X Dual Layer (4x DVDRW, 32x CDR, 24x CDRW) OEM
(Model Number: DVR-108BK)

LCD Monitor

LG L1730P

Graphics Card

Gigabyte GeCube ATI Radeon 9800 (R360 VPU) Xtreme 256MB, TV/DVI, AGP8X
(Model Number: GC-R360-D3)

Video Capture Card

Dvico Fusion High Definition TV Tuner and Capture Card

Sound Card

Creative Sound Blaster Live Digital Entertainment 5.1

Speakers

LOGITECH Z-5500 THX Digital Speakers

Network Card/Accessories

Textronics Network Card
Network Cable 20m
Coaxial Cable

Printer

(I will purchase printer separately later on) -

Keyboard/Mouse

Thermaltake X-III Office Keyboard (PS/2) & Optical Mouse (USB) Combo Silver (Model Number: A1806)

Miscellaneous Items

USB 2.0 x 6 (Additional USB 2.0 ports in the back of the PC while two USB 2.0 ports come standard with the computer case)

Software

MS Windows XP OEM Service Pack 2 (Including CD) -
+All other bundled software included with the hardware package -

Get at least an ATA133 IDE HDD, or a SATA ATA150 (a bit more complicated).
Never heard of that RAM, Corsair, Mushkin, and OCZ are the industry standards.
If you can afford it, word on the street is that the 6600 GT and 6800 GT are both better than the 9800 Pro now.

Yeah, never buy crap ram like that because it will bottle-neck your pc like a (ear muffs on) motha ****a (ear muffs off). The 6600 GT is about $70 more than the 9800 pro and is a very future proof upgrade. The 6800 GT would set you back $170 more than the 9800 pro but you would have apporoximatly 75% increase in graphics performance.

I am currently living in Australia and computer prices are really high here! I think I can get a different brand of RAM and better HDDs but the graphics cards cost like $800-900 Australian. $AUS1=US 75c

BTW I read many reviews and most people say that ATI Radeon is better than NVIDIA cards while AMD is better than Intel. But I get different opinions from different people, a lot of people told me to get AMD but I have always used Intel Pentiums so I am still cautious about making the change. What do you guys think about AMD vs Intel?

Wow, you copied and pasted that same thing above this post and made another thread. Don't you admins love that?

He said he made a mistake... hes a noob let him be. Anyways do you have any friends that live in the united states? I'm not sure if Australia uses PAL or NTSC but if it's NTSC just have your friend buy the stuff and have it shipped to you, then you pay him/her back.

thats what i would do and for gaming AMD is alot better. just like i said always before its all in personal preference and dont tear your hair out trying to figure out which one to buy. get whatever appeals to you but i would have to say that intels are way more exspensive and on these forums amd are the preference.

Sorry guys for starting that new thread, I accidently pressed the wrong button. Anyway I will actually be doing:

* Website Development
* Creating Graphics
* Using AutoCAD 200X
* Listening to music
* Downloading
* Chatting
* Playing strategy games (C&C Generals, Battlefield 1/2 etc)

So thats why I really wanted to know what would be the best medium to do all that in. From what I see at shops the prices for AMD and Intel Pentium are very similar, though I am not as much familiar with the AMD models as Intel P4 models.

BTW in Australia we use the PAL format, and I have got many friends in USA and Canada but I dont want to go to all that trouble for a single PC.:D

Also I just got off the phone with my computer supplier, he said he will provide me with 1GB DDR 400mhz RAM from Corsair. I heard Corsair is a good brand so I dont mind. But it will set me back around $US606.28. Its expensive!

SATA and Ultra ATA?

Oh yeah BTW guys whats the difference between SATA and Ultra ATA? Which one is faster for hard drives? Coz I was wondering if I should buy a Seagate Barracuda 200GB SATA or Ultra ATA?:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom