I'm not sure were to put this thread..

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
This thread could fall in too several category so I thought I post in off topic.

I was curious about the whole concept of having multiple computers connected and actually having a purpose for them. At the minute I'm currently taking part in Two CD Projects being SETI and Folding at home. I was curious as to another purpose for the Computers I have which all, except two have mint on them. I currently have 5 Systems what I have Mint on and two others what have Windows on for ease of use.

I wanted to know if I could do anything with them other than DC Projects. I currently have 4 Towers, 1 Base Unit, 2 Laptops and a Server what I'm not using being the Server. What else can I do with these other than F@H and SETI?

Has any one any Ideas?

I depends on the actual hardware and software you have

I have such a range of hardware and software its quite unbelievable, but I do have all my systems going like the clappers 24 \ 7 to SETI@Home.

I guess I'm looking for something to make a change, and keep interactive, I have three KVM Switches to monitor and use all the 6 main systems put it that way.

I depends on the actual hardware and software you have

I've seriously thought about that to be honest, mining bit coins, but after reading up on them and looking at over £1400 for a dedicated hardware setup specifically for mining bit coins for best results I decided not to due to the acutall intensity and computational aspect of it.

mine bitcoins?

I thought of that too, but apparently even with bot-nets you can't mine bitcoins effectively or efficiently.

"Unfortunately for the cybercrooks, however, it seems that a botnet-turned-mining rig doesn't actually make much money in real life. McAfee found that the increasing difficulty of Bitcoin hashes, combined with the attrition rate from malware detections on infected machines, would make turning a profit from botnet mining nearly impossible."

From Article:
Got a botnet? Thinking of using it to mine Bitcoin? Don't bother • The Register

And this sucks because I have 12 machines: 9 i5's with at least 4GB RAM, two Core 2 duo's and 4GB RAM, and my main PC which is in my signature (i7 with 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz)

Good idea though, wish you could

Only way to mine "a lot" of bitcoins is with AMD GPU's - even then, it's going to cost you more in utilities of consumed power than you will make back in bitcoins.

It use to actually be a profit adventure, but last years issues dropped the currency like a hot potato.

By any chance is the Bit coin currency failing or something? Is their a lot of people who are dropping it and keeping the traditional currency in place like the £ and $? I'm not saying it was going to replace any of these but from what I've read their is a lot of up and downs with it all together.

Back
Top Bottom